Cork GAA - They're going home! - sponsored by Sports Direct and Super Valu

The Cork hurlers were likeable sorts in that era

1 Like

just read he scored 30 goals in 36 championship games, great strike rate. I bet he didnt strike 30 points!!??

He’d kidney problems or such long long ago

1 Like

What was it about the Cork team of 1999-2010 ish that made it seem dislikeable by comparison?

Because it was disliked. It definitely was.

But it had loads of players and characters to be admired. Joe Deane was an immensely likeable player in the great Cork tradition of Charlie McCarthy, Seanie Leary and John Fitzgibbon.

Seanie McGrath was fairly similar when he was around in 1999/2000.

Diarmuid O’Sullivan was an obvious Teddy McCarthy style cult hero. So too Brian Corcoran when he returned.

Sean Og O’hAilpin was widely admired.

Tom Kenny was a gazelle, an awesome player who always seemed to operate on economy of effort.

Donal Og Cusack took a massive and hugely admirable leap by becoming the first and still only high profile GAA player to come out.

I can’t see anything particularly dislikeable about any of the other players. I can’t see anything particularly dislikeable about their management teams at their peak.

Was it because Cork were perceived as believing they were re-inventing the game? Was it that they were too up front about how good they were? And that Irish people don’t like that? Was it because they were too “bolshy” in asserting their rights when in truth they had to be asserted? Was it because they didn’t score many goals? Was it because Mark Landers gave a fairly shit speech in 1999? Was it because they wore a horrible un-Cork like jersey at the 2004/05 peak? Was it because they seemed duller in terms of personality than Waterford, who were the firm neutrals’ choice? Was it because two of the O’hAilpins were perceived to be too big for their boots by going to Australia?

Was it good old fashioned Irish begrudgery? What was it?

4 Likes

Saw him scoring lots of them, a small dumpy figure but by God he knew where the net was

From an outsiders perspective Donal Óg, Mark Landers, Seán Óg were sickening oul cunts and were despised from what I recall. Sullivan wasn’t liked either, mainly because of his big fat head.

John Gardiner was absolutely fucking reviled. A wanker’s wanker.

Niall McCarthy was viewed as a complete and utter simpleton.

Donal O’Grady showed himself up in his second stint with Limerick and is despised down here. Whereas John Allen is held in very high esteem, a humble and respectful man.

The O’Connor twins were admired, Sherlock was admired, Corcoran was admired, Deane was admired.

2 Likes

To neutrals. From a Limerick perspective we feared them. At least my generation did. We wouldn’t have feared Tipp. Once we were knocked out it was all the one.

5 Likes

Seanie O’Leary really was from a different era. I’ll argue with anyone that hurling is a better spectacle now than it was then, but there is definitely something special about seeing a short, fat lad get by on pure skill and intelligence alone. It wouldn’t happen today.

I never saw him play but my dad, a Tipp man who worked in Cork for most of the 70s and 80s, said he was one of the best ever.

RIP

2 Likes

He could break your heart

1 Like

That was how my dad would put it. Everything would be going grand then Seanie Leary would get a goal

2 Likes

By God :joy:

A total of 30-33 in championship as per wikipedia

1 Like

It was the strikes, which were supported in Cork and by most inter county players but despised by supporters up and down the country, they were different times when the glory of wearing your county shirt should have trumped all

And success as well when they had it, going against the traditional long ball style while achieving it was the icing on the cake.

Nobody wants to be loved, because that means you’re harmless, I’m sure Limerick fans are enjoying their unpopularity right now, their lack of class in the face of it is unsurprising given their history.

2 Likes

They were the first traditional team to win one after hurling’s “golden era” of the mid 90s as well so maybe that had something to do with.

1 Like

Are the Limerick fans giving it the big’un? I haven’t been home much over the last two years

A few lads on the internet are, that equates to an entire county in some fellas eyes. Limerick GAA people are generally salt of the earth

Oh, he’s talking about the INTERNET? … Carry on…

Some chaps can only see life through its prism.

It’s very hard to lay waste to the entire country and rub their face in it while maintaining “class”. We tried it for a few weeks in 2018 but quickly realised that it was way more craic ramming it down every cunts throat

6 Likes

Sure we’re just delighted with how things have panned out over the last few years.

1 Like