Cork GAA - They're going home! - sponsored by Sports Direct and Super Valu

RIP. A legend

3 Likes

There was no greater example of Corkness. Corkness is an innate quality, a way of being, which is separate to hurling ability, yet intrinsically connected.

Kevin Hennessy and John Fitzgibbon were other prime exponents of Corkness.

Corkness is a city thing, Cork being the only city in Ireland other than Dublin and Belfast. Corkness is street.

And therefore those who have it are of the city, even if they are not. Seanie Leary was of the northside of Cork city, even though he was not. He was a city hurler. He was a street hurler. He was street.

7 Likes

He was from Youghal

5 Likes

Seanie was a huge favourite of my late mother, as a young fella I had a big operation on my kidney, one hadnā€™t developed since I was born and it was like a pea inside in my belly, the operation was a success and it grew and eventually worked properly, but she was forever telling me that Seanie Leary only had one and look at him! She also loved the story of Ringy telling him that you donā€™t play hurling with your nose,
A little fat fella scoring goals for fun against assassin full back lines, they loved him in the terraces, Iā€™ll never forget the 84 Munster final, with apologies to Tipp posters.
RIP Seanie Leary,

8 Likes

I was posting that till I reread what @Cheasty posted.

But disrespectful of Youghal if you ask me

He meant nothing by it. Just that he was a city boy without actually been one.

3 Likes

Didnā€™t a lot of county hurlers over the years transfer to cork city clubs ? Christy ring did as well didnt he? What was that all about?

Work

That wouldnā€™t sit well below in Youghal is all Iā€™m saying.

Lord rest the man.

2 Likes

Would there not have been a lot of trouble over it? It seems swapping clubs was far more common back in the day.

RIP Seanie Leary. An iconic player, had a style that wonā€™t be seen ever again.

1 Like

No. It was the accepted thing. Different times.

yeah?

RIP Seanie

legend of a cork goalpoacher and sniper

Seanie, JBM, John Fitzgibbon , Hennessy , Mulcahy - Jez Cork had them back then

3 Likes

Thatā€™s funny really as everything nowadays is more relaxed.

Travel would have been a big part of it, a 60 mile round trip for training in 1941 would have been no joke

1 Like

2 minor AI, 2 u-21, 4 senior, 9 Munster, 4 National Leagues, 3 All-Stars. Jaysus.

Thatā€™s some record. 69 is no age these days. RIP.

6 Likes

Throw in Teddy McCarthy, Tony Oā€™Sullivan, Jim Cashman, Johnny Crowley, even Mark Foley.

The glorious Cork jerseys of the 1970s and 1980s.

The unrivalled Kop-like nature of the support.

Style matters.

1 Like

Was the man sick or was it sudden? Itā€™s no age RIP

1 Like