Cork GAA - They're going home! - sponsored by Sports Direct and Super Valu

He wasn’t the best corner back Limerick had this year though, I’d like to see him when he doesn’t have a safety blanket in front of him. No doubt incredibly impressive but more based on his 2018 performances than 2021 ones

Delaney was a good defender. Think he went to the States so missed some years playing.

Wayne was a super hurler, I’ve always touted him as one of the great corner backs of his era, I’ve known him since he was a small boy, a tough little fucker from the mean streets of Mahon. Not to be messed with. Great to see him getting recognition here which his career deserved.

2 Likes

It’s hardly our fault teams stupidly play against us with only 4 forwards is it?

1 Like

Ye play with 9 or 11 back bud

1 Like

Oh right. Has someone told Paul Kinnerk? He’s going to be fair sour when he finds this out.

Af ffs . Come on

He was probably Limericks worst player in the final this year to be fair

Do you remember when he laughed at Clare?

1 Like

3 Likes

That is a silly statement but he probably tuned off with boredom - it happens

Wayne is really highly regarded in Kilkenny.

Spoke to him a few times. An absolute gent. Was happy to see him involved with Cork U20s.

That Cork era weren’t liked because they were different. They didn’t play hip and whip shit - IMO their hurling at its peak was a joy to watch, despite the cribbing. They stood up to a corrupt regime of a county board - I was in full support of their strikes, especially in 2009. They were then resented up and down the country, not by players interestingly, but by the general public as they were seen as being too big for their amateur boots.

I do believe that if that Cork team were around today, they would be more popular as things are finally changing in the GAA. Dinosaurs are beginning to go extinct.

On another note, I nearly did a double take when someone here referred to Seán Óg as an “unmerciful cunt”. Seán Óg is one of the greatest characters of the modern game. A gaeilgóir, true Corkonian and I do think he was certainly a catalyst in terms of racial progression within the GAA.

4 Likes

Could be looked at that way, in fairness. I think BM was a good bit better than PM, who was honest but only a slogger. John ‘Laochra Gael’ Allen is no genius.

Thank god for good hurling discussion instead of going around in ever decreasing circles about Covid…

1 Like

Finn is the best cornerback I have ever seen. Sherlock did have better wrists, and maybe Olli Canning would have been more versatile but Finn stands above IMO. I have never seen him have a bad game.

A lazy argument to say that he has a blanket in front of him. It’s actually tougher to be a corner back now than it ever was IMO, due to the quality of ball coming in to the forwards , the standard of subs that the top teams can bring in late in the game, and most importantly due to the skill now required to play in that position - a sticky lad won’t do there anymore, his level of touch, striking, ball skills must be excellent to survive.

1 Like

I thought he should have been hoty 2018 and he is the best corner back that I have seen also, I just thought his performances were a step back this year and he was that bit off the pace in the final relative to everyone else. Not his best year

Both O’Grady and Allen rated Mulcahy very highly. He was probably more suited to half back but was never going to displace the other three.

I have vague recollections of O’Grady starting Mulcahy at full back at the start of the 2003 championship with the Rock in the corner. Mullane roasting the Rock in the early stages of the Munster final I think led to them switching back but it shows they rated Mul highly

Pat Mul was arguably the best club hurler in Cork at that time. I had no issue with him starting ahead of Sherlock that time. The latter was out of form as far as I remember. I would rate Sherlock as one of the best Cork Hurlers I have seen.

2 Likes

Limerick copied their style and now claim it as their own

Limerick also went on strike but they had nothing won

Pat Mul was a filthy fucker he had this thing of swinging back the hurley when he was breaking out with a ball

1 Like