Cork GAA - They're going home! - sponsored by Sports Direct and Super Valu

Playing devils advocate here but has Finn ever been exposed wan an wan, he has had some defensive unit around him and a fantastic keeper behind him

He did most if not all of his club hurling in the half back line though he was shoehorned into the corner because of the quality ahead of him there.

2 Likes

Not by Dessie anyway.

5 Likes

He was a brilliant club centre back, would have made a fine county centre back but he was no Ronan Curran

As a corner back he couldnā€™t have laced Sherlockā€™s boots, Murphy was an outstanding corner as well in fairness

3 Likes

Sherlock started at 5 didnā€™t he?

I donā€™t recall too much long direct ball played to the inside forward line from the Cork defence back then, or did you miss Gillanes goal in the All Ireland Final? It was only mid way through the first half, youā€™d hardly given up by then and stopped watching, had you?

1 Like

Who is Delaney?

Paul Delaney, Tipperary. Hurled in the late 80s/early 90s with Tipp. Think he was Roscrea club as far as I know

1 Like

He did in 1999, maybe 2000. Fergal Ryan was in the corner. But even then he played in the corner for Blackrovk, Fergal Ryan on the wing

He played centre back with the Rockies later on

1 Like

Toomevara IIRC

1 Like

Murphy was excellent, almost underrated

Ye haunt his dreams

However I do recall Dessie tossing the ball over his head, turning him inside out and putting the ball over the black spot

Paul Delaney was Roscrea. Iā€™d imagine @Big_Dan_Campbell is thinking of Tony Delaney, was centre back on the dominant Toomevara teams. As filthy a hoor as I ever saw hurl.

5 Likes

Just the wan time.

That Toome team were filthy

They were filthy alright. Delaney, Brislane, Terry and Tommy Dunne all had a filthy stroke in them. However there were some lovely players in it also. Friend, Ken Dunne, Bevans and the Oā€™ Briens. They chronically underachieved outside Tipp just like Sars over the past 15 years. I think they won Munster just twice. Their last real dance at the top table was losing an all Ireland semi vs Ballyhale Shamrocks around 07. It was a great game.

I mean the team in the early 90s

Ah both teams were filthy. They had a potent mix of enforcers, hurlers and big men. Pat King, Michael O Meara and Delaney were the filth then along with an older brother of Eoin Brislane if I remember correctly.

Was that Tommy Dunnes last hurling match when he was sent off? Zidane vibes.