Cork v Tipp - Munster Hurling Semi-Final

News, views, thoughts, speculation and high-perr-bow-lay on this most momentous day in the Irish sporting calendar. This is bigger than the Munster Championship itself. This is bigger than the All-Ireland. Some things go together. Strawberries and cream. Beer and olives. Buckfast and broken windscreens. Mushrooms and ham sandwiches. Cork and Tipp. It’s going to be tasty.

Cork are at full strength, or so I read. Cadogan and Cussen should be available for selection. Was it all a cute hoor conspiracy to lull Tipp into a false sense of security? How will Tipp line out? Lar Corbett a doubt apparently.

All posts and pointers as to how to make the most of the Cork-Tipp and Pairc Ui Chaoimh general matchday experience also welcome.

PS: Kev, I want my money back from that bet you gave me last week and I’m coming to get it.

I expect Tipp to line out as follows

Cummins
Stapleton
Maher
Curran
Fanning
O’Mahony
Cahill
B Maher
S McGrath
Larry
Callinan
JOB
Kelly
Buggy O’Meara
Noel McGrath

Tipp played Clare last Wed night and a good few picked up knocks. Festy Kerwick looks like hes ruled out with a Hamstring injury. Mahony got a bang on the hand but should be ok. Larry is a doubt as he hasnt done much in the last 3 weeks because of a knee complaint. You could see Larry and Noel McGrath switch. I think that Sheedy will start Buggy O’Meara FF. Hes impressed in training and in all the challenge matches. Hes big,mobile,well able to throw himself about and has a great paw.Can hurl too. This will be a 50/50 game and while im confident of a Tipp win, it would not surprise me one bit if Cork bet us. We’ve bet them the last 3 times in Championship and they will be mad to put that record straight. They also have the benefit of a winter/spring with no controversy or disruption so will be a lot better prepared.

Prediction Tipp by 2

There is no complacency in Tipp about this match, they have won twice in Pairc Uí Caoimh in the last 70 odd years.
Cork should be favourites for next Sunday and rightly so as they are current league finalists, Tipp will be lucky to keep it pucked out to them.
With regards to posts and pointers about the occasion, Pairc Uí Caoimh is a bit of a shithole but at least there isn’t a bad view in the place. Trying to get out of the kip is an event in itself.
Oh I forgot to mention the mutual respect between these 2 counties that people from Johnny-come-lately counties would not understand or appreciate.

Buggy O’Meara didn’t play in the league, did he? Don’t really know anything about him.

I think Tipp will have too much firepower and will be stronger over most of the pitch and I’d go for them by about 4 or 5.

Are tipp really that pushed about this game I wonder, another munster title doesn’t do a lot for Tipp, would an auld handy run in the qualifiers not be better???

I’d also expect a bit of a back lash from that cork team, they died away in the league final, Tipp by 3 or 4 if they want it

No he didnt, he was only added after the League but he has been in for training games since the Fitzgibbon. He was part of the U21 Football panel this year aswell playing full forward in the Munster campaign.

Declan, he looked a bit cumbersome to me during the Fitzgibbon Cup, he might struggle with the pace of a championship match?

The qualifiers would bring either Kilkenny or Galway into the equation a bit sooner than Sheedy would like I’d imagine.

thats true but he was carrying a bit of weight. Since hes been called into the panel he’s trimmed down a fair bit and is flying it in training by all accounts. Himself and Paudie are meant to be having some good battles during the matches. Hes also the form player from the last 3 challenge games. I know you take this with a pinch of salt, however how else do you judge a lad? Id have no worries with him if hes picked on Cadogen

Cork really look to have nothing off the bench. I expect them to produce a big performance but that it will go something like the 2008 match in that Tipp will wear them down. I think the fact that it’s in Cork will act as a extra motivating factor for Tipp. Cork nearly prefer toplay in Thurles, although obviously that shouldn’t make too much of a difference.

Will Tipp start Padraic Maher at full-back considering Aisake catching balls over him in that league match? Although didn’t Aisake play centre half forward that day? I think Cork will mix it up a good bit and I’d expect Cussen and Aisake to both see time at full forward at various stages.

Fair enought, but it would allow tipp a break, prety much guarenteed a quarter final spot anyway, tipp would probably have to beat both anyway

Oh the glory, the glory of it all

:lol:

Will cork start Aisake, he offered very little in the league final

Small bit unpredictable this year in that Galway could well beat Kilkenny in the early part of the year. Tipp ideally would want Kilkenny in a semi-final as that’d be their best chance of taking them. Not as if Sheedy is thinking in about the qualifers though. That’s for the lads on the ditch.

I think Paudie will start FB. In the League Aisake caused him problems in the first ten minutes before Walsh shifted him out to the half forward line. Paudie will have to adapt and not try catch everything, which is something he does. Sheedy could also move Curran full with Paudie going wing and Cahill going corner. Curran did a good job on him last year. Id be more worried if Cussen was full. has way more hurling than Aisake

If KK win leinster and Tipp win munster wouldn’t they be on opposite sides of the draw WTB,

Yeah they would, that’s what I’m saying. Normally you could chalk Kilkenny down for Leinster and think the year out that way but for the first time since this run started there’s a fair chance that they won’t.

I’d be surprised if Aisake was that dominant in the air against Maher again, (I recall Redser giving Hickey a torrid time of it in the league in Nowlan Park one year, Hickey didn’t give him a sniff of it in the league final a few weeks later) if that was to happen, Tipp have Curran or Fanning who would have the strength to handle him, as Declan said Cussen would be a bigger worry at FF than Aisake.

Why leave something to chance? The more direct route to an All Ireland Final this year for Tipp is to win Munster.
Say Cork beat Tipp and Galway beat KK* after overcoming a gallant Wexford of course, it would mean the possibility of Tipp having to beat both Galway and Killkenny just to reach the final.

I can’t think of a single reason why either team would not go 100% for the win on Sunday. Second guessing who wins Leinster is a fool’s game.