Cork v Tipperary

Johnny Flynn could definitely have played senior. He had it all. A paw, eye for goal, cutting, hard as fuck.
He was a year older than me so def 1994. We had a game of games with that Rockies side at 16, and beat them. Our full back actually had a game of a lifetime and it got him trials down the road but Flynn scored 4-1 or something like that.
Was huge turn up they won that county. Would have been ranked 8 or 9th in county from memory

That was some team.

98 winners?

Cork won minor hurling in 1998 : eoin Fitz was the star :

Ronan Curran didn’t do too bad for himself.

No then ; have you that team ?? Eoin was outstanding

1998 – CORK: Michael Morrissey, Ronan Curran, Jonathan Olden, Damien McNamara, Barry Murphy, Aidan Fitzpatrick, Brendan Lombard, Alan O’Connor, Niall O’Sullivan, Peter Murphy, Donal Broderick, Eoin Fitzgerald, Cathal McCarthy (Captain), Garvan McCarthy, Victor Cusack
Subs: Niall McCarthy, Jason Barrett.

The majority faded into obscurity for such a comprehensive champion.

Yea , currant was corner back . I thought Cathal Mac Carthy would make it .

was JBM the manager of this minor team?

I’d say that wasn’t the starting team for the AI final, I was good mates with one of the lads on that team

Yes

Will Cork bring much of a crowd?

1 M. Morrissey 2 E. O’Sullivan 3 J. Olden 4 D. McNamara 5 B. Murphy 6 R. Curran 7 A. Fitzpatrick 8 A. O’Connor 9 J. Barrett 10 J. Egan 11 G. McCarthy 12 E. Fitzgerald 13 C. McCarthy © 14 B. Lombard 15 W. Deasy
Subs used 17 N. McCarthy for W. Deasy 20 V. Cusack for G. McCarthy 23 P. Murphy for E. Fitzgerald
Subs not used 16 A. O’Brien 18 D. Broderick 19 N. O’Sullivan 21 S. Kennefick 22 K. O’Shea 24 M. Fitzgerald
Coach D. Burns

As I saw it on youtube, the Cork Minor final in 1998. Carrigtwohill had some team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlSqj2pi_LU

Goes to show. I completely forgot that team.

Eoin Fitz was class, was Sherlock from that team? Neil Ronan? Struggling to find team list.

Cathal McCarthy was captain. Still playing but lacked ambition i’d say.

That age group were peaking at the wrong time. I’d say it was hard to get onto senior panel and even harder to come in from outside. They weren’t the most welcoming group either by all accounts the 03-07 group.

On top of that you had strikes.

Despite winning 2 All Irelands Donal Ogs group, it could be argued, cost at least that many more. And they bottled it when they had CB by the throat.

1 Like

more honours for JBM

Delivered minor and senior all Ireland titles as a manager

Michael Morrissey, Ronan Curran, Jonathan Olden, Damien McNamara, Barry Murphy, Aidan Fitzpatrick, Brendan Lombard, Alan O’Connor, Niall O’Sullivan, Peter Murphy, Donal Broderick, Eoin Fitzgerald, Cathal McCarthy (Captain), Garvan McCarthy, Victor Cusack
Subs: Niall McCarthy, Jason Barrett.

I have bolded the guys that couldaa/shouldaa made more of an impact.

Aidan Fitz definitely had it all. Some man to go drinking with.

Actually when you look at it that was a serious drinking team.

yes
the bones of the team that gave us 3x U21 AIs in a row and then the glory days 99-05

DB?

1 Like

ah ray is hardly a cobhman