Cork v Waterford 2017 hurling

Ya i agree. I think the lay off was a huge factor.

People think conditioning is something you do at training. But games condition the mind and the body as well. How interested the opposition are conditions you. So playing your b team will not do that

Boom. Very similar to the Irish rugby team in 07. Also I would love to know how often that starting 15 played together thus year before yesterday

The really impressive thing about Cork is how sharp they are so early in the season. They really nailed the run-in to championship and itā€™s rare for teams to get that right. They needed two A+ performances to reach the Munster final and theyā€™ve got them. No small achievement. All four of the other Munster teams would regard their opening performances as sub-par.

1 Like

A good chunk of the team training since last August. I get the impression they were more directed at u21 in ways.

You wonder what effect that might have down the road. But Cork being Cork the momentum can be unbelievable and alot of young lads can feed off that.
The major thing for them too is all the bew lads bar Meade come from Hurling 1st or Hurling only clubs. Distractions are less. The u21 time could press them though.

1 Like

Kelly is worn out from the club run Joe Iā€™d say we have seen the best of him tis awful sad tis awful sad

Kingston has played more or less same team in all comps since start of season. Continuity is evident

And McGrath?
Theres your answer right there

It was a fascinating game yesterday. Cork are playing with super pace and first touch.

To have a look at how to negate them, the Dublin & Limerick league games in Pairc Ui Rinn are a good starting point.
The Cork half-forward line was beaten by the opposition half-back line who also cut out a large share of the diagonal balls.
Their midfield is functional and the FF line needs decent ball.
Tipp had the relatively slow Ronan Maher watching Lehane hit points from play out on the sideline while Kennedy was not at the races at #5.

2 Likes

We will see how it goes as year progresses. I know it was discussed here at the time and my own view was he was just looking to build confidence and didnā€™t think they could maintain the form over long season.

This was team that won the competition final played 29th Jan

CORK: A. Nash, S. McDonnell, C. Spillane, D. Cahalane, M. Ellis, C. Joyce, M. Coleman, L. McLoughlin, D. Kearney, C. Lehane, L. Meade, S. Kingston, A. Cadogan, P. Horgan, D. Fitzgibbon

13/15 started yesterday. 2 lads who didnā€™t are more experienced fellas

2 Likes

You see that on July 9th

Cork will ate Clareā€¦ Clare were woeful the last day, very hard to see them raising it the 50% required.

3 Likes

I agree we were against a 1b team who fear Offaly

1 Like

Christ Joe, you were convinced that Limerick would beat ye, I predict that by the weekend of the match you will be predicting a Cork win by 2 points a man, and to be honest I donā€™t think youā€™ll be far wrong,
Yesterdays win didnā€™t mean as much as the Tipp one cause in general we like Waterford and their supporters and itā€™s only Waterford at the end of the day, nobody will begrudge them an All Ireland, but after 13 I think Cork will look to put a further marker down against your lads, I cannot see anything except a handy win, I may pile in on the handicap once we know what it is, Iā€™ve a feeling it will be far too small.

Remember how ye felt in 2013 when
Ye were favourite s

1 Like

More bollox terminology borrowed from the smugby. Not have a a go at you kev but i hate the way this term has crept in to hurling.

There be scruns

It has to be called something. Its more obvious and has more people involved in it.

Although less yesterday Cork have still improved out of sight. As i watched a good chunk of a year of their training i can tell you they were not practising it with Landers

I donā€™t know is it something new you can train for or improve at to be honest. Use the body to protect the ball ā€¦ get down over it ā€¦ pick it up or flick it outā€¦strength and bottle would be major factorsā€¦ if a lad is determined and has the skills he will get in and win that dirty ball ā€¦ plus quick hands and good co-ordinationā€¦ when I was playing it was probably what I most excelled at winning dirty ball but I didnā€™t ever specifically train for it.

Cork have been excellent so far. Theyā€™ve had a decent forward line over the last four or five years but itā€™s how the defence has held up which has been the most impressive thing.

In saying that they won Munster only three years ago and then received an unceremonious thumping in the AI semi final. If they get over Clare theyā€™ll face a team with at least one (if not two) decent qualifier wins under their belt and momentum of their own.

Iā€™ve got every prediction wrong in Munster this year so far but Iā€™d give Clare a fighting chance in the Munster final. Iā€™d fancy Conor McGrath against any of that full backline. Tony Kelly didnā€™t puck a ball in the club final or against Limerick. Heā€™ll surely relish it if the game opens up as looks likely.

Wide open championship anyway, a change from the last decade for the most part. Can only be good for the sport.

1 Like

I saw it being trained for. I created/adapted some brutal conditioning games like what i saw as well.

Waterford, KK and Galway had got very good at it. There is a skill, acceleration, power and agility aspect to it.

1 Like