Cork v Waterford - All Ireland Hurling Semi-Final 2'17

They won’t beat Cork playing like yesterday anyway.

Agreed which may force them to go orthodox a game sooner than planned. Maybe i’m giving Derek Mcgrath too much credit.

1 Like

I think Cork are beatable if Waterford go man for man with them. If they concede possession and hope to choke them off they are finished as Cork showed they can deal with that comfortably enough against both themselves & Clare already. The key will be forcing them long from puck outs and then beating them there (easier said than done obviously). It doesn’t have to be a ridged 15 v 15 system but they need to be up on Cork for puck outs and have bodies in the forwards.

I know they beat Tipp in a shootout but I think Cork and what they were about were relatively unknown at that stage.

1 Like

Having said all that I think the winner comes from the other side regardless.

We’ve all had the same thoughts, kid - as Julio says, it’s holding them back and if they go more traditional - which they need to - I can see them beating Cork… I wouldn’t be worrying about a final until I got there, go all out and get there first.

Cork will kill Waterford

What’s this about Waterford going orthodox against KK last year? They were just a little less defensive than usual.

Hurling games against Cork invariably hinge on forcing us to go long on puck-outs. We are useless at winning any ball not placed into a lad’s hand.

Pushing up on the puckouts probably goes against Waterford ethos but sticking like glue to the opposing half-back line shouldn’t. Brick Walsh and Moran had poor games against Cork earlier on the year but were very effective against Wexford. Waterford also probably have a stronger overall panel. Simply put though, Cork are all about getting the ball to the forwards as fast as possible and letting them put it over the bar. Waterford are much more complex than that. 9 times out of 10, the simpler approach will win.

Waterford have a stronger panel of forwards. But we had only two defensive subs named yesterday, Shane McNulty and Kieran Bennett. One of those will come in for TdB (probably McNulty) so that leaves us with one defensive sub.

1 Like

Yes but ye play with 13 defenders so that’s fuck all use to ye.

2 Likes

Cork won’t beat Waterford

What fucking relevance has this to a Cork Waterford match Joe?
Your Davy bashing is getting old, ye could have done with him on Saturday. He wouldn’t have taken Tony Kelly off anyway when Clare were flying and Tipp in disarray.

Steady on mate, Tipp weren’t in dissaray save for 2 minutes in the 1st half.

Sorry I deleted it sorry

How do you think the match will go Joe?

4 Likes

No worries Joe, you’re a gentleman and a scholar.

Why the fuck are you always on @Joe_Player’s case, eh?

I’d advise you to quit it.

1 Like

Jesus MI they were all over the shop from 9 back at times. Some great “plays” from the half back line with particular emphasis on high catching, however even they were in trouble on the ground.

Not that i completely believe it but an argument could be made for Clare fucking that away

I love @Joe_Player more than I love even you pal, posts like that make it seem like I’m on his case when it’s only a bit of craic about the flip flopping.

Meh, if Callanan had stuck his goal chance TIPP would have been 10 points clear.
Where I would say Michael Ryan made a balls up was not making subs earlier, in fairness to the Clare management their subs made big impressions when introduced.
TIPP looked to be tiring but mental strength got them home well in the end.