Cork v Waterford - All Ireland Hurling Semi-Final 2'17

No its the GAA’s fault.

Shit rule.
Don’t enforce it.
Let refs do what they want.
Ambibuity

And so on.

Shit rolls down hill. If you are going to be in charge take some responsibility. But thats the problem, we accept weak leadership in Ireland

I know the pschology of sport or young men is beyond you, but the buck stops at them.

They create the culture.

Rules are rules. It’s all the moaning and video analysis and sniping that is making it a talking point.

1 Like

The rule is perfectly good. The more you think of it, it’s a very good rule.

It’s unfortunate the ref bottled it in this case.

I have never been tempted to touch an opposing players faceguard on purpose during a game. Very strange behaviour

Why was he allowed do that?

Give me 10 examples of serious face injuries or even helmet interferance that was dangerous before the rule.

You won’t be able to. They do not exist

No the GAA has sent the message to gleeson et al that there is a way out.

Thats why they act like children

Fixed

Whatever you enjoy yourself mate

Should we allow players swing out of other players helmets? No. Is a red card rule a good way to make sure it doesn’t happen? Yes. Is the rule clear? Yes. Whose fault is it if Gleeson breaks a clear rule? Gleeson’s.

Its a shame if he’s banned as he’s a thrilling player to watch. But he is always doing dumb shit and should have a handful more red cards to his name by now. The problem is not with the rule it’s that we all want to see him in the final, so want him to get away with it.

As an aside, I think Gleeson is a good example of the type of extremely talented player who never learned to read the game as well as others that you posited recently. It would also explain to me how he goes such long stretches in a game without being involved in the play.

3 Likes

Was the helmet rule really brought in for safety reasons? For some reason I was under the impression it followed on from the Diarmuid O’Sullivan vs Martin Comerford incident and was brought in to stamp out “unsportsmanlike” behaviour rather than anything else.

It was brought in years after that incident

Rule is not clear.

Nothing to do with it.

It was a sunday game thing

Rule should be clarified as to the severity of the incident. All rules are open to interpretation though, striking for example. While technically it’s striking, a petulant slap like Conor Gleesons is hardly in the Benny Dunne category.

Ironically the reason Benny Dunne pulled like that was because Tommy Walsh had pushed his helmet down over his eyes and he couldn’t see

What is not clear about it? I terfere with the helmet you get sent off. Players have absolutely no excuses. Any player that falls foul of it is an idiot.

1 Like

They were all at it back then, the Rock was at Healy’s helmet from the throw in in 2005. I was sitting with an ex Tipp player and he told me to watch out for it, Healy spent most of the game fixing his helmet.
Was that the type of interference that prompted the rule?

This tallies with my perception. The Comerford v Rock incident was 2004 and it was creeping more and more into the game. Almost certain there was some rule in there by 2010, maybe the penalty was upgraded to an automatic red subsequently.

There’s interfering and dangerous interfering though. Should a defender get a red for what Tommy Walsh allegedly did to Benny Dunne (I would say yes as Dunne was effectively blinded). If two players are fighting for possession and using their arms and a helmet gets touched, should that be a red card? I would say no.

I would go back to the American football example. All contact to the head is a foul, grabbing and pulling the helmet off while tussling for position or fighting a yellow card, grabbing the face guard when a player is running should be a red card. The latter is the only one that can cause serious injury.