Cork weirdo/sicko thread

Gonzaga have one for the chess team though.

1 Like

Taking on the recommendations from the numerous consultancy reports the FAI have commissioned would be a start

go on…

The league as a concept is completely unsustainable in its current format. I’m sure you know the details better than I do. A genuine question, how were Bray and Limerick granted a licence this season when it was obvious to many that both clubs were in a spot of bother? Is the licencing process actually enforced as its meant to be? Or is it just an exercise to weed out the absolute chancers?

I’m not familiar with how the licensing process works

FAI gives them out willy nilly

Again, im not familiar with the system so cannot comment

You seem to go hazy on the facts when it suits …

1 Like

How dare you

5 Likes

cc @Tim_Riggins - you’ll love this one

ccc @Fagan_ODowd / @maroonandwhite

2 Likes

Wonderful ad.

Tax payers money put to good use to commission it.

You have semi-answered your own question there. Ireland cannont sustain a professional sport. Rugby is sustained by having just 4 pro teams and playing across borders. The rugby club game is in large bankrolled by benefactors.
Soccer is fucked unless they form 3/4 large teams and join in a bigger league where you have glamour home fixtures. This is bound to fail unless you have a ready made brand (msybe SRFC).
For all its faults (and there are many) the GAA amateur ethos promotes volunteerism throughout the country which isnt a bad thing. It promotes altruistism and community where in tje end of the day sucess is relative. Professional sport in all its guises has a paymaster and becomes more of a business and less of a sport. Dont get me wrong I like some professional sports NBA and NFL in particular but its not sport in its true sense. They are business that use sportspeople.

3 Likes

No Tim, I was comparing like with like. Both the GAA and private schools receive state-funding. I can understand the stance that if it receives state funding it should be open to all but surely this should apply to all state funding. To use this as a stick to beat the GAA with is fine but to refuse to apply this stance to private school education is hypocrisy.

1 Like

:man_shrugging:

Are you sure about that. Stud fees are tax free. Bord na gCon have been bailed out more times than a Greek bank. The stadiums and dog tracks were all grant aided when they were developed. Hoese racing is a game that trives on mentally weak misfortunes (aka punters). Its a con. A pyramid scheme if you like. All dressed up as a fun activity. Its a mugs game and the young people are addicted to it.

4 Likes

Read the rest of the paragraph you dullard. Rugby survives by playing in a pan-national league. Club rugby is fucked and is heading back from a semi-pro to amateur which it should always be.

2 Likes

So Ireland can sustsin a professional sport.

You might want to edit your post to reflect that

1 Like

In fairness I don’t know why you bother @Esso_Oil

6 Likes

You’d think the fact that the rugby franchises have to play against teams from Scotland, Wales and Italy in their domestic competition might be enough for the avid rugby fan to agree here - but facts and common sense have no place on this forum it seems.

And South Africa

1 Like