Cork weirdo/sicko thread

I seeā€¦

thank you for unbiased input.

1 Like

No Fair play to @gilgamboa. He took a part of a paragraph (sentence even) out of context to make a point. Serious internetting there.

The point I should have made was that Ireland canā€™t maintain a professional sport within its own boundary without the increased media/support base of other countries being involved. I thought that was more than clear in the rest of the paragraph. Indeed I would suggest that the Pro-14 League (is ot still called that ?) is heavily supported by the national unions?

I was also answering a point by @Tim_Riggins who asked a relevant question which further illuminates the direction and attitude of my response.

Explaining = losing.

1 Like

When dealing with someone with an anti rubby agenda its vital that clarity and accuracy is involved.

Reasoned debate around here certainly is losing when you have such witty and well thought out riposte in your arsenal. Very original

He thinks South Africa is in Europe - I wouldnt waste your energy, mate.

Where is my anti rugby agenda?

@Tim_Riggins asked a question and I gave a reasoned response.
I would suggest I have attended far more rugby club matches in my time than you not to say have played.

I grew up in a time and place where rugby was the number one sport ( Limerick City). I went to my first game in 1981 missing out on the legendary day YM beat Bohs to win their first Senior Cup in decades. I supported and played for Young Munster (I was no good and played at a very low level) from then on. I was there in Lansdowne Road when Ger Earls intercepted the pass from Nick Barry to score in the corner to win the AIL.
That was in the days before the professional game. The professional game has changed rugby utterly. It has become a game of collisions and not a game of trying to avoid the collisions.I have to say it leaves me cold.
But that is professional sport in nearly all its guises. So do I have an agenda. Probably an anti- professional sport agenda.

8 Likes

We have all made valid points except for Matty Hislop and Tim Riggins. Now can we please all get behind Limerick in their bid to beat Cork this Sunday.

1 Like

@Chocolatemice has all that covered off repeatedly on here ā€¦ Who did you play ball with so, Tony King (or is it Peter?) and the likes? You probably ran into a very young chocolatemice in Austins when he used to pal with Auntinā€™s youngest, Mike.

Ooft. Bandwagoner @gilgamboa shown up badly

2 Likes

Played only a few years underage. I also told a bit of a fib. My first match wasnā€™t 1981. My ould fella dragged me to a Munster Ulster Interpro to see Mike Gibson play v Barry McGann (they were my two favorites) so it was probably around 77 but I was very young.

The names of the lads I would have palyed with were Glavins, Dickinsons Mike McCarthy and the like. All the CBS lads.Cant remember the Kings but it was a long toime ago. Far too young to go to pubs and to my horror never in Austins. My ould fella was a pioneeer. i have made up for that later in life

I hope you enjoyed my little reference to Nick Barry playing for St Maryā€™s. That day was special and made more special that it was a former Garryowen player who passed the ball that Earls intercepted.

You old bastard ā€¦

1 Like

I must be mixing you up with one of the other limerick lunatics. Apologies.

I played approx 300 rugby games only.

Editā€¦i thought he was the dogshit man who is always rowing with trackie

Iā€™ll applaud any man that makes that kind of commitment :clap:

Were you a Con man or some team out the sticks?

You have me so. I am only slightly brain damaged.

Did you get many bangs on the head?

3 Likes

Con wouldnā€™t have a lad from there. More like Kanturk

pretty much anyone who went to a rugby school and played in college would have done the same

Con me bollix.

Played from age 12 and played a few over 35s last year. Done now.

They do. But still not quite the same. Population wise, we are similar, which is why I specifically said sporting population. They have basketball and handball and other minority type sports, but none that compete with soccer to the same level as here.

Of their world cup squad, without making you go find out, they had 2 home based players involved. Their 3rd choice keeper and a midfielder who got 25 minutes in the dead rubber game against Iceland. The majority of their top level players go abroad for their football careers.

Plus, there are a number of other factors to consider too about the Croatian league. They have a decent footballing Yugoslav history, far better than ours. They had a national domestic league within the Yugolsavic era so it was inevitable with the Yugoslav wars and the breakup of the former state that the new countries would form their own domestic leagues with some of the powerhouses of the former country, namely Dinamo Zagreb and Hadjuk Split, dominating.

Added to Irelands multi sport nature with GGA and Rubby, it would be hard to sustain a professional soccer league here like it is done over there.