Coronavirus - Close the Airports

It was 10 per cent in Madrid and 2 per cent in Canaries.

Yet one of the first outbreaks was in that hotel in the Canaries.

Tis a strange auld virus. It seems to be pot luck really.

Pollution and population density seem to be factors, but they don’t explain a lot of it either. Germany for example or South Korea or even China, which even if they are a bunch of liars, seems to have gotten off very light versus their population.
Then there’s India. Which is massively polluted and densely populated and wouldn’t have any of the things China has going for it like central planning, top class healthcare etc and where large amounts live in slums etc.
Perhaps weather plays a some part, but Italy and Spain in April would be as good as we could hope for all year.
We are missing something big all the time you’d have to think. No doubt it’ll be obvious in hindsight

2 Likes

Someone buy this man a pint

1 Like

Fair play to him. :tumbler_glass:

India’s had a slow start but is flying up the rankings now, similar to Russia and the South American countries, in contrast to the majority of European countries where the lockdown has had the desired effect and the graphs are all headed downwards. Maybe it’s just taken the Indians a while to fine tune their data reporting. (Ahem)

I’d imagine there will be a few things we have yet to discover that will make sense in hindsight.

I’d also be strongly of the opinion that we are over counting the deaths from this thing and that it is no where near as dangerous as first feared.

Oh and the lockdown was pointless. Social distancing and protecting nursing homes was sufficient and arguably preferrable.

2 Likes

1 Like

Going on the population per county map in the things I learned today thread it’s no wonder that people in Waterford and Wexford were up in arms about Dubliners coming down for the bank holiday. Based on this data the infection rate in Dublin is 8.3 per thousand. In Waterford and Wexford it 1.3 to 1.4, the lowest in the country. Hard to see a reason why these counties would be the lowest either. Maybe they didn’t have schools going on skiing holidays? But their rates are half what the rates are in Kilkenny, Carlow and Tipperary which they border and share healthcare facilities with and less than Cork which is 2.2 per thousand. Maybe it’s the sunlight after all.

2 Likes

Hold firm

1 Like

By God we’ve nearly done it lads.

1 Like

Time to lock and load

Leo Leo Leo

:smiley::smiley:

2 Likes

This is the kind of “feel good” story that crushes my spirit.

19 Likes

Any sign of that vaccine, mate? Even a rough estimate of a date? I’d like to be able to tell my parents what year I’ll be down to them.

1 Like

Are all the doctors and nurses that were flown home from abroad standing around scratching their holes with nothing to do?

The country is fucked

Go down if you want to go down. You haven’t been going around GCD licking people since lockdown started?