Coronavirus - Close the Airports

What time is this press conference taking place today?

Nothing announced yet. Meeting today with NPHET and announcement shortly after. Might get an hour or two notice tbh.

1 Like

I put my trust in you good sir.

If we have to learn to live with it then the lockdown is useless just driving people mad. Or is that the plan if more people die of suicide they dont have to report it as normal

1 Like

If sport is over for good in Ireland, I think it’s only fair that whatever team had the most points in the league this year be named perpetual champions

Yes but all these hold the line merchants will ignore every other deaths they’ll ignore the economic fall out. There’s another break out in Wuhan now. People need to realise we have to learn to live with it. There is no other way. Sadly for us the last six weeks of dry sunny weather was the ideal time to trial different approaches. It’ll probably be October before it dawns on the Irish people we can’t sit in our boxes forever.

3 Likes

Sensible social distancing and locking down nursing homes would have achieved more than the lockdown in my opinion.

Anyway the curve has been flattened and our ICU is coping so any justification for a lockdown is gone.

6 Likes

When you’re talking about ending ‘lockdown’ what kind of things are you picturing changing? I think even the hardline OIUTFers agree social distancing has to stay so that still rules out sport and pubs gigs etc. Might as well stay locked down

I’m talking allowing EVERY business that can implement social distancing to reopen

2 Likes

I agreed with the lockdown at the time to buy time in setting up testing processes, learn more about the virus, give time to come up with a vaccine (which will take 12 months but there has been no progress and outside government controll) and build capacity in the health system. None of those have been achieved. Now it seems pointless. Personally it’s a pain in the hole but many others arent doing as well. I cant fathom this living to work crap with no enjoyment in life as simple as visiting family and friends, going to social events and having a holiday to look forward to. It doesnt help that the people running the country are ignorant that when they make a balls of it. If you speak against the hold the line outside of tfk (imagine its actually a beacon of sense) you are treated like a pariah as you are going against the brainwashing of the last few weeks. Sensible challenges to this process are needed if we have to live with it. I’m coming to the conclusion that herd immunity will be our only option. Unfortunately that will result in deaths. As @Batigol said nursing homes and at risk people need to be protected which so far was a fuck up. Curve has been destroyed. We did what we were asked to do

3 Likes

Social distancing can go out the window as it appears the clusters are in nursing homes and hospitals. That’s what leo and tony arent telling us

1 Like

I’ve actually solved this. Similar to a keep cup, anyone going to a pub will bring their own customized rim that will fit over the mouth of a standard pint glass. They can have a second smaller one for chasers.

1 Like

Will the smaller one fit in the larger one for jagerbombs?

What about cocktails?

That’ll be very tough on the lads who take a huge first gulp and their bottom lip goes very far down the outside of the glass.

Himself and @PhattPike here the second lockdown ends …

3 Likes

I don’t know. I’ve never drunk a jagerbomb

The simple facts we have to learn to live with it. Who are saying it and the outbreaks in Wuhan confirm it. That’s what the focus should be on. Not the mistakes of the past. We need to start adapting.

1 Like

What are you trying to say?

Exactly I’ve had to keep my trap shut when we’ve met people out walking etc. I have detected a change in attitude over the last few days though, I am hearing most businesses bar pubs/restaurants etc here are opening up on Monday. Need to get on with it.

1 Like