Coronavirus - Dig In, It's going to be a while yet

More closures to be required but not a “lockdown” and more restrictions re groups to be announced

1 Like

I’m in limerick CBD this morning on essential business and it is very very quiet.

Probably the way to go for now, close parks, beaches at weekend maybe. Ban mobile food stalls, markets etc. Only 2 out together walking etc, not easy though

Tim Martin is one of the scummiest people on earth.

4 Likes

Fergal must read tfk

Italy seems to have peaked. Glimmer of hope.

I don’t believe a lockdown can be sustained in the West. Community solidarity only lasts for so long. We will reach a point where the consequences of a lockdown (economic, on other elements of the health service and people’s well being) will likely trump all else. My prediction is a slowdown from the peak across the board in the West in 2/3 weeks (Italy seems to have turned the corner and Germany are slightly confident their social distancing measures has slowed it).

By mid April the hope would be that we have some decent treatments (there’s encouraging signs here), some rapid diagnostics (those seem to be there) and hopefully an anti bodi test in place that can keep a lid on this specific outbreak. If they see a trend down, there’ll be a gradual lifting of restrictions, I suspect that offices will be told to reopen gradually (50% of capacity and social spacing maintained). Some public spaces and shops will be allowed to open again (once they’re closed, likely seems to be from today). Rules on over 70s will remain and continued social contacting of positives. My guess is that we are 3.5 to 4 away from that.

The government might then encourage eateries to reopen (they haven’t banned them I don’t think, just that they’ve voluntarily closed) with social spacing. Pubs will likely be the last one here just due to our social connection to them and the potential for disorder. 7-8 weeks for that.

There could well be a second outbreak of course In the Autumn. Hopefully the amount of money put into the science of this can track it if it mutates. Continue putting money into diagnostics, treatments and a vaccine (for next year at best). Governments won’t be afraid to slam the doors shut again though after this which is actually a positive.

5 Likes

Oral Hegarty of UCD on Sean O’Rourke suggesting all construction sites should be shut down. Easy to say from the cheap seats when your salary is secure. I presume Orla will be suggesting salary cuts across UCD to help fund the massive supports required. You either have solidarity or don’t

17 Likes

Hairdressers. One would want to be a thick fuck to go for a haircut these days.

2 Likes

Indeed. When people perceive their livelihoods are on the line they may not be the most rational.

The conversation was dead in the water once O Rourke asked her had she been to or observed any contruction sites to which she replied no.

1 Like

I think we’re looking down our noses at their death rate. We’re a horrible shower but this is the 2020 European Championships:

Ireland: Population - 4.83million
Tests: hard to find an exact figure but they say over 10,000 last week alone. They also say they’re in advanced negotiations with China to start testing over 100,000 per week soon.
Confirmed infected: 1,125 = 0.023%
ICU: 25 = 0.00052 %
Deaths: 4 = 0.000083%

UK: Population - 66.44 million
Tests: 83,945 = 0.12% (Ireland is at least twice this and probably a lot more than that)
Confirmed infected: 6,650 = 0.01% (less than half of Ireland)
ICU: I can’t find this figure, maybe someone else can (I think the British media must be slightly behind us if they haven’t realised yet that this is the figure they should really be focusing on).
Deaths: 335 = 0.0005% (over 6 times Ireland’s rate)

(Based on the above I would argue that assuming the ICU situation in Ireland and the UK is similar and neither country is at capacity, then the UK have under-estimated their confirmed infected by about 12 fold (because they’ve half the confirmed rate of infection of Ireland, with 6 times the death rate and 26=12). However, that factor of 12 is only in comparison with Ireland, so if Ireland has also under-estimated it’s confirmed infected by a factor of, say for example 3, then the UK’s figure would also be 3 times too low, so the factor of under-estimation in the UK would then be 123=36, if that makes any sense). However if it is the case that the ICU situation in the two countries is not similar and the UK’s death rate is dying because the UK has reached ICU capacity already and patients aren’t getting as good ICU treatment in the UK as in Ireland and they’re not dying because of a higher infection rate per se, then these sorts of calculations are not really possible.)

3 Likes

I caught a bit of that — an absolute lemon.

Anyone thinking of withdrawing a few k from the bank for backup money?

With BOI closing branches already and after todays restrictions id say a few more will close today.

If there is a “technical glitch” with card payments we’d be all screwed…

Or am I over thinking this as I eat my coco pops.

We’ll see what she says.

Ireland has 6 dead on Worldometer (the one true source).

Decent response though.

We won’t need any money where we’re going

1 Like

It’s a tough one — who wants to be handling cash now? Our local shop is asking for tap/card as much as possible but if the matrix goes down there could be a right bit of panic alright.

The figure that has been most widely publicised is that the UK has 6.6 ICU beds per 100k population, Ireland 6.5 ICU beds per 100k population.