Coronavirus - Dig In, It's going to be a while yet

Newstalk just announced the brits are leaving the north and Ireland is now a 32 county country.

1 Like

ICU occupancy has a lag so the number of ICU beds occupied now are based off the cases from two or three weeks back.

Serious sweep sweepery going on here now on the Pat Kenny show

Didn’t lock down start tomorrow three weeks ago? If we get through the next few days are we over the
Hump?

This is going to be a long drawn out affair chaps, you’re talking minimum 6 months so you need to realise that fast and get prepared.

Gemma O’Doherty has announced that her activity for the last five years has all been a hoax and that she is actually a Fine Gael supporter.

I’m trying to understand their strategy (and South Korea’s) and what these numbers would suggest the results were. They tested a lot of people early on and obviously managed to get their R number down quicker than Italy or Spain.

Germany want antibody tests and positive corona passports to try and get people back living normal lives. At such a low level of population infection though the efficacy of this would be slow I’d have thought while it goes through the population slowly, but certainly in terms of giving trends (I believe they are trying it on one of their worst impacted areas) it would be helpful.

If that happens then people will presumably try to deliberately infect themselves so they can get it over with

2 Likes

Like when mammies take their kids to one house so they all get chicken pocks?

Problem is the complications it can cause for people with underlying conditions they may not know about. I’ve heard of one case where a early middle aged person was told to self isolate and they actually died at home from complications.

what was the topic?

This has been the worst April Fools day ever, and it not even half over (in Ireland)

Could well be the point people get to alright!

I’m guessing Spain is higher than Italy because Italy’s outbreak seems to be heavily focused on Lombardy. Would make some sense that Italy had a surge before Spain and ICU’s in that region were overran whilst Spain seems to be more of a build up as the cases are more broadly distributed.

Interesting where they have the Swedes there as they are going for a relatively lax method in comparison to everyone else. I do agree with @Dziekanowski that this is a political problem in the sense that media and politics impact decisions. Sweden has managed to resist some of that pressure internally and they might find it easier to let it spread to their population at a controllable pace with some shorter term restriction measures once their ICUs give up. There was definitely a spooking of other European countries when they saw what was happening in Italy on healthcare capacity so there may have been some measures introduced too soon. We are seeing the social issues of draconian lockdowns in Italy now with the economic ones in the background but there’s also the issue that @The_Most_Infamous mentioned in terms of trying to open back up whilst deaths are ongoing and people blaming politicians for that.

1 Like

But surely Fergal the testing was irrelevant, treat as if they had it? Stop being a dick Fergal.

1 Like

cc @Mac

This gives validation to that 90s Wesley Snipes movies, Protestant cant dance.

What’s a Stepdown facility?

For people recovering but don’t need to be in an icu.

1 Like