Coronavirus - Dig In, It's going to be a while yet

Now is not the time for point scoring Fenners. We need to all pull together and make sure the Leinster schools rugby finals are played.

4 Likes

The latest study done in Wuhan shows a morality rate of 1.4% of people who became ill or showed symptoms of COVID-19. This is well below the 3.4% announced by the WHO, and likely still greatly overstated given how many people have very mild symptoms and donā€™t report illness.

Another interesting finding is that, according to Dr. Fauci of the NIH, apparently four out of every five people who got infected were infected by someone who was symptom free and had no idea they had the virus.

1 Like

This is the main issue with this cunt of a virus.

FAO of @anon78624367, @Dziekanowski, @anon7035031, @Horsebox and others who have been following this closely in recent weeks, did SARS spread over to this part of the world when it struck however many years ago? I donā€™t really recall any panic about it from that time but I was young and carefree then.

True story: In August 2003, I stayed in a B&B in Castlewellan in which the owner told us he had survived SARS.

SARS didnā€™t really spread very much outside of Asia because the symptoms were extremely quick to manifest themselves after becoming infected.

It was more serious if you actually got it, but in terms of spread, much more containable.

1 Like

Yes, it spread all over the world but the cases were limited, 8,000 in total and 800 died. Iā€™ll have to research it further but the main reason it died out were containment efforts in Asia, but also the fact it was much more virulent than this virus. People got much sicker faster, and most ended up in ICU and 10% dead. That slowed the virus spread greatly.

1 Like

I donā€™t remember any real implication of that or MERS.

I remember there were rising worries around swine and bird flu but they didnt really embed here either

It also appears to have been a lot less contagious than this bastard, and only transmitted from people who had symptoms. Once you got it you went down pretty hard, so the likelihood of being out spreading it were greatly diminished.

In short this is a much smarter SARS. It isnā€™t in a virusā€™s best interest to kill people quickly.

8096 cases of SARS worldwide, the vast majority in Asia. A quick look at the Worldometers site says weā€™re now onto 255,943 recorded cases of this cunt worldwide.

That spells out the difference fairly clearly.

Weā€™ll be well over the million mark by the end of March.

3,000 people in Ireland got swine flu with 20 people dying

30mins in the air before it settles

Iā€™m surprised Trump hasnā€™t tried to throw in an odd reference to it as ā€œMexican Fluā€. Be right up his alley. Heā€™s probably never heard of it actually.

are these the same lads who advised letting her rip?

Up to 3 hours according to latest studies. So, if you combine the fact it can live on a lot of surfaces for days, can stay in the air for 3 hours, and has spikes that latch on to you like a hook, is it any wonder it spread so quickly.

1 Like

Also where that couple from the famous episode of wifeswap live.

MERS was almost entirely limited to the ME, and specifically Saudi which has had 90+% of cases. It does not spread easily unless you are in very close proximity to a person or a camel who has it.

Iā€™d imagine that covid, or a mutation of it, is with us now in perpetuity? Itā€™ll be like flu only more viciously contagious.

Would you consider picking them off with an air rifle?

Thatā€™s certainly one of the likely outcomes here. The four other corona viruses that cause the common cold have been around a long time. Over time we develop immunity to them and the symptoms are not bad, or it could mutate to a more virulent or less virulent form.