Coronavirus - Dig In, It's going to be a while yet

why have thousands signed the petition then?

were the IRFU pissed off with the decision to postpone the Italy game?

It was an 18 month pandemic and ireland got its first case in may 2009 I think. It was pretty much done in january 2010.

There was no panic like this, not because of lack of social media, because it just wasnt as bad as this one.

another good one is Growing up Poor that the BBC did about Rotherham - it had the same effect on me tbh

1 Like

well there was also a vaccine for swine flue- for this there is no vaccine
i got the swine flu vaccine in work the morning of the second leg of the france game - by 2pm i was bolluxed - went home to bed and came around by KO - cork was then flooded the next day
no vaccine for covid is a game changer - plus back in 2009 twitter wasnt around

The reality is this virus started spreading internationally in January, the first case in the US was the lad who brought it back from Wuhan to Seattle on January 21. You have to assume the first cases spread to Europe were around the same time. At a R0 of 2.2 this spread like wildfire in the period from mid January to early March. The WHO didn’t announce a pandemic until March 11, in reality the western world didn’t get serious about this until a few weeks ago, by which time there may well have been millions of people infected worldwide.

1 Like

Let’s see the receipt for this donation

According to the WHO, the seasonal flu kills 290,000 to 650,000 per year. The 2009 swine flu was right within that range so it was a normal enough flu. The mortality rate from the flu varies from region to region and year to year but is in the 0.1 to 0.2% range.

There are so many unknowns with this outbreak, most of all how many people are actually infected, but if we do a rough back of the envelope calculation that the mortality rate is 10X the seasonal flu, then we could have 2.9 - 6.5 million fatalities worldwide. But that doesn’t take into account any of the containment and mitigation efforts going on, so hopefully it will be a lot lower.

My personal belief is the morality rate is lower than 1% and will end up a lot lower due to the efforts going on.

3 Likes

Fuck it but I love this country.

10 Likes

That is powerful.

1 Like

Saw it earlier, still incredibly sad all the same.

It is, but we shall overcome. We’ll find a way. We’ll do what we can and we must.

The worst thing that ever happened was this idea spread that it only effects the elderly or vulnerable. That in itself is debatable but the effect on the health care system is catastrophic for all. I drove through the Phoenix park yesterday evening, there must have been five thousand people there, multiple games of soccer and other congregations.

A woman aged 27 died of it over here today. Think it was also sepsis related.

What happened in that episode?:smiley::smiley:

It’s definitely time for a bit of serious scaremongering and serious repercussions for those behaving irresponsibly. That’s the direction things are going in here, more media reports of young people seriously ill which hopefully will get their attention, the governor of Cali saying 25 million might get infected, and talk of the national guard on the streets shortly.

Sean Penn was on CNN last night advocating for the military to take over the response, based on his experience with the US army in Haiti after the earthquake in 2010.

1 Like

Harris seems like a grand fella . Very calm very practical,

1 Like

At least he are checking people properly at airports

1 Like

I vaguely remember she was called Lizzie is all. Try googling Lizzie from Rochdale

1 Like

If you Google it you’ll find it.

I found it