Coronavirus - Here come the variants

What would you consider to be the maximum censure for refusing to give your name and address to a Garda? Have you ever read the court reports in local newspapers?

1 Like

June Kelly, 72, of Prospect Court, Mullingar, Co Westmeath was charged with failing to give her name address when required by a garda on Lower Oā€™Connell Streetā€¦

She was also charged with leaving her place of residence in contravention of the Health Act 1947 and Section 31A of the Covid regulations.

Over 70s leaving their house is actuslly a crime?? :flushed:

4 Likes

They are convening special sittings of courts for the awful offence of not giving a name and address to a Garda.

Does that not strike you as disproportionate

Are we obliged by law to give our name and address?

Well yes, but I was dealing with a separate issue, which is media publishing their names, this isnā€™t disproportionate for ani offence which carries enormous public interest whether right or wrong.
A good friend of mine once had his name published in the Cork examiner because he got so drunk that he couldnā€™t stand up, drunk and incapable was the offence he was charged with Iā€™d I recall correctly.

Yeah thatā€™s what they got GOD for

Are you sure? If a guard walks up to me on the street Iā€™m obliged to tell him my name and address?

They wouldnā€™t ask, theyā€™d all know you.

12 Likes

Des Cahill had a good yarn about playing corner forward for a club in Kerry while he worked for The Kerryman.

It was an awful night, lashing rain but one lad turned up to watch it. Shouting encouragement and praise to Des in first half

After half time yer man repositioned himself other end of the pitch and continued with his support. Des was confused as he didnā€™t recognise his big supporter.

The game ended and Des had kicked a couple
Of scores and they won. Yer man approaches Des and introduces himself. Des asks if he knows him and thanks him for his supporting.

Not at all says the man. But Iā€™ve a court case next week in Tralee would you mind keeping my name out of the paper.

7 Likes

I would have thought so? If heā€™s abusing his position Iā€™m sure you can file a complaint.
The Gardai policing the protests are doing their job, Iā€™m not sure what criteria they use to select people to speak to, but if a Garda asks your name in an official capacity then I presume you need to give it to him. If you refuse to do so then you certainly canā€™t blame him for refusing to give ground and lose face

If they suspect you have committed an offence (and protesting is now an offence*) they can use statutory powers to demand it. Failure to do so can lead to arrest.

*Heaven help us

1 Like

Surely he has to caution you first or something?

So telling them your address is incriminating yourself in this incidence so best to say nothing.

Thatā€™s an interesting point. You would essentially be confessing by giving your address.

1 Like

If they suspect you of having committed an offence.

If asked for name and address you need to give it but ask them what offence they suspect you have committed and take a note of that as that suspicion is basis of their request to be lawful.

Exactly. Tell the pig ignorant bastards nothingā€¦ 7 of them manhandling a girl to the ground yesterday and @backinatracksuit reckon they get a pass because they were only doing their job.

3 Likes

TNH

4 Likes

Most likely.

Itā€™s the old ā€˜bang to rightsā€™ situation popular in detective stories.
Refusing to give your details is counterproductive UNLESS you want your name in the paper Iā€™d say

1 Like

An offence is being suspected of being outside your 5km