Coronavirus - Here for life (In high population density areas)

I thought the vaccine just stopped you getting very sick. You can still spread it can’t you?

Would you stop.

The hospitals were not actually particularly busy this year. As discussed over and over, the hospitals were far from being overran in March and April. The autumn into Christmas was the quietest on record.

There were c. 10k doses available to us early on that we left in the freezer. It would not have taken much to distribute them. They should have gone out early and quickly, particularly to ICU staff that could be facing a tsunami in a matter of weeks - which is actually what has eventuated.

This should have been planned for months in advance. Instead the vaccine task force really only got up and running when they vaccine trials were shown to be positive. The excuses we saw ranged from building up supply to consent forms. This was directly criticised by the Medical Council, who are all frontline workers btw, so don’t give me this nonsense about it being attack on the frontline.

I have sympathy with trying to ensure supply and us being at the whims of the EU supply chain. However, we were not talking about a mass rollout. We were talking about a rollout to a relatively tiny subsection of the population where the need is greatest. And if they weren’t available for the vaccine - it should have gone to nursing homes on day one - one nursing home in Laois and one in Dundrum are reporting huge numbers of deaths in the last two weeks. Two of our biggest issues are deaths in nursing homes and infections among the front line, it is the pareto principle in action.

If you were kicking around saying “we need herd immunity, a couple of days don’t make a difference”, as it seems we were, then it doesn’t make a difference. If you look at the actual problems we have, then it does.

6 Likes

They don’t know as they didn’t test it but if it stops you getting sick then people without symptoms spread it less/not at all.

Saying that it was pathetic that we weren’t already vaccinating? Yes, as a donkey could see the case load and what was coming for hospitals.

At the time, we weren’t given reasons. The excuses since were pathetic. They were simply not ready and too many people were off to administer it.

Again, this is exactly a criticism the frontline gave via the Medical Council. HSE admins and public service back office admin hiding behind the frontline are funny.

1 Like

We still have no plan - that’s the issue. But lookit - we cant jump up and down about these things despite them having months to put a plan in place. They’ll be done at some point.

1 Like

my 11-year-old daughter wants a Labrador (Pup).

Loads of public servants starting on 24k struggling.

They don’t have data on this yet apparently, which is understandable. I thought that it stops you getting it, and I’ve heard commentators say that it’s reasonable to assume it stops you spreading it, or at least greatly reduces the risk of you spreading it.

Are you or your missus house proud or garden proud?
Park that for a while, be prepared to buy some new furniture and put all food up very high

1 Like

This might answer some, if not all, of your questions.

lads I presume most of ye have given up keeping kids apart , our oldest fellas social bubble is now at least 7 different houses and vice versa here.

1 Like

Similar with the training of ICU staff. “Lockdown for 14 days to give us time to tool up”. Lockdowns extended into the early summer with many continuing to be in enforced unemployment all year, how much was done? A paltry number of people who signed up for the callup for Ireland were hired. It doesn’t appear as though ICU staffing was greatly expended. Excuses rolled out included “it takes a year to get an ICU nursing diploma”. It takes a year if you have semesterised college and limited hours per week, if you treat it like an actual emergency where you have to train up people quickly, 6 months should be adequate. New York State were providing crash courses in a matter of days for some of the more acute issues with Covid to staff, what were we at?

The thing they treated like an emergency was testing at the start and in fairness they scaled up to good levels. Large testing continued throughout Christmas. The reporting collapsed of course but such is life, annual leave was needed.

If they treated vaccination like they did testing, we’d have been in a better position.

3 Likes

that planet maths is some load of nonsense isn’t it?
just finished pip and posy there and she gave some gaelige as well

all in all
45 minutes
we ll go look at the river now and talk about the weather

Behind a paywall!

What would be interesting to see is a delivery schedule of the vaccine which would be well known by now. Then overlay the vaccination schedule and we see a clear plan.

I’m selling into the HSE some items and a clear delivery schedule from factory floor to DC delivery was part of the submission process. They know what they’re getting and when.

To relieve people and show we’re on a tangible path out of this horrible situation, they should be able to outline the schedule of the program. Instead, the first cue they gave us to prompt faith in the process was to stick the physical vaccine in a freezer.

1 Like

Sounds like a toddler. The dog will probably enjoy paw patrol as well

oh sorry we had to write our news as well and draw a picture

Tfk is cracking at the seams. This mornings news has both the oitf and the lidtf brigades both scratching their heads.

Lovely dogs. The missus family always had them. They wreck your house though. And they get sick last five or six years of their lives.

I presume that will be published and sent to everyone’s house in leaflet form…

It will. And Micheal Martin will call round of an evening and and hold your hand gently and read it to you slowly.