Coronavirus - Here for life (In high population density areas)

France and Italy etc in the first wave got destroyed. And when things got hairy restrictions and curfews brought the numbers back under control.

What’s lies?

You said it was down to lockdown, I gave you a place that has had serious lockdowns where staff are quitting in their droves. Just because Bloomberg English has picked it up for Sweden (after looking I assume), doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened elsewhere.

Sweden’s peak ICU was not much better or worse than the rest of Europe. The facts are like the rest of Europe that their ICU numbers dwindled over the summer. The majority of Swedish deaths happened in aged care facilities, the people who didn’t make it to ICU.

This obsession with March is bizarre. Look at the likes of Central Europe, savage lockdowns in March but then healthcare stretched way over capacity in the Autumn and into winter. Other countries have helped neighbours routinely in the last 10 months, there is nothing unique over this.

Unless you are advocating for non stop lockdowns, then you need to stop on this delusion. It is perfectly possible to criticize the Swedish decision in March without getting totally hung up on it.

Ireland will have had 3 lockdowns and I can guarantee you in the coming weeks we are going to see stories about our ICU capacity running out and heathcare workers being worn out.

1 Like

Ireland conceivably could have done what New Zealand did with joint cooperation in the north and south and closing aiports back in February/early March but didn’t.

That’s done and dusted and the chance was gone when they didn’t, no point crying over spilt milk etc.

The NZ model is not a viable option since they missed that opportunity.

2 Likes

There’s been cross border cooperation in health care for years

Ah yes, ignore any reason to criticise the shambolic handling of this by govt and NPHET and just hurl insults.

2 Likes

This happened all over Europe. It is still happening. Esteban is telling porkies.

Sweden’s ICUs have seen the same pressure and same release points as most of Europe.

They haven’t. Not most of Europe. Some.

I’m not sure how conceivable that would have been. You’d be the same lad who would say that Sinn Fein have no real power in the North when the failings of the North are thrown at them down here

1 Like

fellas like you are the reason it wouldn’t work and your attitude toward Sinn Fein and the North

I’d like the HSE/NPHET to explain how much extra capacity has been added to health system and why they stood down the extra capacity last summer given they said the second and third waves were inevitable.

Then I’d like to see daily and weekly vaccination targets and mass scale vaccination centres being rolled out.

I’d happily accept a strict lockdown if the HSE commit to starting this week vaccination 24/7 with the only limit being number of available doses.

4 Likes

That makes no sense. I’m talking about the DUP being the issue in the North not SF

Also what is my “attitude” towards the North? I am in favour of a United Ireland.

The political institution has no real power in the north. Why do you consistently give your opinion on matters you are completely uninformed on?

Westminister dictates a budget at then you have unionism vetoing everything.

Conceivably it could have happened. If you’re struggling to understand what conceivable means then go look it up in a dictionary.

Deaths Per Million, for Europe:

They are trying to introduce legislation that will enable them to implement increased restrictions. It’s not something they are doing lightly.

The will :grin:

Lockdowns are a failed road too.

I don’t hear anyone calling out San Marino?

of course they are. Everything is. There is no winning until the thing is fully eradicated.

what we see is restrictions coming in when things get bad, things get better for health care. That is the tangible result of lockdown. A breather for the people fighting this cunt.

I’m ok with that. The problems that come after can be fixed. The battle is now.

1 Like

Where is your evidence?

The graphs look remarkably similar across Europe. ICU and hospital admissions began to drop in mid April.

You can compare to the rest of Europe here; https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications-data/download-data-hospital-and-icu-admission-rates-and-current-occupancy-covid-19

Aside from which, given the fact that you say some yourself, you are admitting defeat on “this being down to lockdown”.

Sweden themselves think they’ve got it wrong. You wanted the Swedish approach implemeted in Ireland which for many reasons was a nonsense idea. It was also the wrong approach but you’re still clinging to the notion that it could work.

You don’t want the hospitals over-run but you want lockdown to be stopped. The reason locksdowns were implemented was to protect the health services. The medics in countries that don’t have lockdowns are crying out for lockdowns.

You’re managing to continually contradict yourself.

1 Like

I agree with you on that. The Irish government have even less power in the North and it would have been impossible to have a cross border plan in February/March while dealing with the Unionists