Coronavirus - Here for life (In high population density areas)

And the people fighting poverty, cancer, homelessness, depression, living with disabilities, addiction problems, in abusive relationships, now living on government support, people whose careers and education have been railroaded, isolated people living now with limited social interaction?

Fuck them right?

5 Likes

We are talking about conceivably now. Was it possible for Ireland to enforce a NZ type situation? Yes.

Realistic - with unionism and the political structure in the north as we have seen with Brexit, highly unlikely.

But let’s not pretend the north was the only barrier to this when the Free State was flying in plane loads of virus ridden people until the end of March. Italian fans being allowed to travel over for a cancelled rugby match. The first confirmed case came through Dublin airport with the lady up in Belfast.

Am I correct in thinking that Iceland and Malta considered Zero Covid but opted against it?

Ok you’re right. Sweden should have had really restrictive lockdowns like they had in countries like France, Spain, Italy and the UK. Good man.

1 Like

“Horsey knows better than the doctor”

@Horsebox is actually correct.
The figures are correct, however, anecdotally, there is indeed plenty of anecdotal evidence that it can seriously harm anyone.
I have an extremely pleasant, kind, decent, fit and otherwise healthy colleague who is currently in ICU I found out yesterday.
Herself is getting a bit twitched about this new strain.

1 Like

There are no winners on this thread only losers.

This isn’t fucking Lord of the rings. There are consequences to the decisions that are being taken at the moment that will take years to repair that you are completely dismissing. It is astonishing head in the sand stuff.

2 Likes

That’s never going to happen.

Sounds like March / April was a free for all with shysters conning the HSE out of money

2 Likes

This year will be worse than last year

2 Likes

I’m not saying that, Sweden are.

Unlike you and other sceptics, they are not measuring themselves against the worst hit countries like France, Spain, Italy or the UK, they are measuring themselves against their neighbours. They have come to the conclusion that they are doing far worse and have thus changed their approach and are introducing legislation to enable them to do so. I’m not sure why you are finding this so difficult to grasp.

1 Like

Paddy and Ewan will get legs out of this. Fire away lads we know your reading. Keep up the good work

2 Likes

@EstebanSexface

repair being the operative word. They can be repaired. It’s a sacrifice to avoid irreparable damage right now.

No not fuck them - of course they require consideration but they required consideration before the pandemic and will after it also.

You are basically blaming all the ills of society on restrictions to battle the pandemic. Similar to the “only old people are dying” argument. A weak crutch for a lame argument

1 Like

14 Likes
1 Like

I’m not but these people are suffer much more immensely due to the restrictions imposed by lockdown, why are their needs being ignored?

Are their needs being ignored?

things aren’t operating at full capacity right now because there is a global pandemic.

this is a national emergency. People are doing the best they can on all sides of the court. The health services, gardai, social workers, psychiatrists, primary care givers, nursing home people all doing a difficult job. It’s made more difficult with restrictions undoubtedly, and without restrictions there is a possibility their job is impossible, as when it becomes overwhelmed we will move to Covid only by necessity.

There are negative ramifications to lockdown. I’m of the opinion those would exist anyway without lockdowns and lockdowns avoid magnifying and multiplying them.

For lockdown read restrictions/distancing/ masks whatever it takes.

1 Like