Coronavirus - Here for life (In high population density areas)

Cheers pal I was getting worried that “overarching” was dropped from his lexicon, that’s very reassuring.

1 Like

No we do not need herd immunity. We need to vaccinate the at risk people.

In the short term what we needed was a rapid rollout of our vaccine stocks to the at risk and frontline workers. What are the two major issues that prompted this emergency? Deaths and saving the health service. One dose of the vaccine provides decent protection from the virus after about 10 days.

We could identify not just the at risk people, but the at risk settings. Nursing homes accounted for over half our deaths. We knew that absences due to Covid and higher viral loads to healthcare workers put the healthcare service at risk. We sat with thousands of doses of the vaccine in the fridge, and for what?

As some of the same lunatics and incompetents from public health backgrounds who have ran the show since last March are determined for “herd immunity” now (not such dirty words now) and say it “wouldn’t make a material difference”. One of the Zero Covid zealots was on the radio this morning same this morning. Which kind of flies in the fact of the reasons for our emergency, you would think. But they care more…

1 Like

Well said.

You do not have to be smart to see these truths. Just sensible.

And decent.

We have about active 80,000 cases. Real number is likely much higher. There are roughly 70 people in ICU with this thing out of a population of 5m people. You have no semblance of perspective or rational thought. In summary the only headbanger around here is you. Now go play with traffic you cunt.

3 Likes

But again, what would we have done without a vaccine?

if ever there was irony. In two sentences.

I’m glad I make you angry

Well, a good start in anything is not being a demented idiot.

Poor you. Not a jot.

Done with Covid! Done with Covid!

we have a vaccine, the whole point was to protect the vulnerable and health services while waiting for a vaccine. The vaccine is here now. This was the whole thing.

Why are you looking for failure where there is none. Protect society until a vaccine.

This has been achieved through locking down when incidence is high and opening up when not for some bit of balance to life.

1 Like

If this only makes 1 per cent of people sick then do we not already have herd immunity of a sort - people immune systems can generally fight it off unless very old, very fat or some other health condition

Back in March or April anybody who had Covid was fearful. Now people who have it and have symptoms seem to be reasonably breezy in 99 out a 100 cases.

Having said all that given where we are we should lock down this one last time to end of March and vaccinate the vulnerable and then move on. Rolling lockdowns have been worst of all worlds really.

1 Like

Go and breed other fools. There are a lot of bored stupid women out there.

I was talking to an actuary today, as I do most days. It was actually she/her that pointed out the ridiculous nature of Dr Holohan’s comment last night. If they’re only testing symptomatic folk and there’s a 25% positivity rate then it’s not likely that you have Covid if you have the sniffles. In fact there’s a 3x bigger chance that you don’t have it. But how and ever.

She was doing some back of a cookery book calculations earlier and her assumptions were that most people would have stopped mixing from 26 December at the latest. Restrictions tightened again from that date with bars/restaurants having closed just before Christmas, (pre) Christmas Day visits done, travel outside county banned so no new year’s jaunts etc etc. So the big surge we saw either side of the new year was likely to be due to contacts up to Christmas Day. Anyone that got it after Christmas Day would likely only give it to (some) immediate family and it wouldn’t be passed onto the wider community.

In essence, the spread up to and including Christmas Day was likely to be substantial but the R number should be manageable again. So while hospitalisations are likely to grow for a while due to the lag in people getting sick, we might have reached peak infections/cases already.

Please comment @TreatyStones, @Copper_pipe.

8 Likes

They’ll be back testing 40k tomorrow if the cases drop again. Nphet will gutted by todays numbers.

Could anyone actually make up stupidity to this level…?

Enough straw men to hold Guy Fawkes Day every day for a year…

Imagine being so happy to be a Koch brothers shill. Another Daniel Hannan.

Next thing, this lad will be telling us there is no such thing as climate change.

Obviously, if 10,000 of them decided you were worth riding.

2 Likes

You have about as much use as an inflamed appendix and the brains of one too.

1 Like

Looking at the Covid Tracker app.

In the last 24hrs it states Hospital admissions at 79 & Hospital discharges at 68.

Did the 817 Hospital confirmed cases all rock in with Covid symptoms or are there a bunch of those confirmed cases attributed to existing Hospital patients?

ICU admissions at 10 & ICU discharges at 3.
Above is a worry as week on week since mid December the total in ICU has gone from 30 odd up to where we are now.

I know we have a vaccine, we didn’t back when they made that Declaration, you know?

For the last week Ireland has had more real cases than the UK or the US has ever reported, countries people sneered at. That’s after two full lockdowns and the longest initial restrictions in Europe. We will now fly up the death chart and will see more pressure on hospitals than before.

Do lockdowns work? If they are very early they halt transmission, like the Czech Republic in March. But did it stop another wave? Nope. Do they work in scenarios where cases are already out of control? Nope.

My issue has been the consistent use of blunt instruments here early rather than striving for strong surveillance and test & trace.

As I said here before, I’m sanguine about the latest lockdown as there is a finishing line in sight. I doubt it will do much though given how out of control the virus is.

Ah no… Quite a few had first class degrees or summa cum laudes – Oxbridge and Ivy League and all the rest. But that craic was a long time ago. Things change.

Except in the head of demented idiotic ideologues.

Who exactly decided you have the high moral ground? Who said this had to be a binary choice? I wont burden you with the guilt of suicides, cancer deaths, child abuse etc. I won’t play that game.
Anger at public servants sitting on full pay? Maybe people who have built businesses up from absolutely nothing, pay taxes to pay public servants and employ people deserve more in the way of consideration than for lads to decide the worth of their soul.

1 Like

Elaborate. Just saying “you’re stupid” followed by irrelevant names is not making a point.