Coronavirus - Here for life (In high population density areas)

@Bandage thatā€™s about 30% lower than last Thursday.
And the positivity rate is down 1.36%

Weā€™ve been running in the 800ā€™s for three days now. Itā€™s all in hand

Thereā€™s around 10% of the population vaccinated (at least with the first dose) in most states, 4 million here in Cali. Thereā€™s about 17% of the population over 65 so we are getting there fairly quickly.

Is there a reason you chose to ignore the first paragraph?

Between that on one side and herd immunity on the other ye are through the worst of it youā€™d think. The lack of basic social supports is a great incentive to get lads out from under the bed.

1 Like

Absolutely not. My previous response indicated what I thought of his dealings with Cervical Check.

Any signs yet of the impact of the vaccine?

Yes, 99.9% continue to not die from the virus that has people being locked in their homes.

2 Likes

Hospitalizations are down by 50% since mid January, from 23k to 11.5k. ICU peaked at 5K and is now 3K. Hard to know how much of it is the vaccine, a little early yet as the second doses are just ramping up now.

1 Like

Yeah itā€™s plateauing down alright.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s the really key indicator.

What are my chances of getting into the country in October? My May wedding has been pushed out again.

Sounds like Bill would fit in here very well

With the exception of Micheal Mac most TDs would run away as fast as their #PublicSectorPrivilaged legs could carry them. Charlie has been a breath of fresh air, I hope @balbec and the boys on the 22 committee have been taking note

https://connachthospitalitygroup.ie/compassion-and-empathy/

10 Likes

Close to 100% I imagine.

Charlie and Sir Desmond Swayne are great bits of stuff.

1 Like

Heā€™s excellent. The video at the bottom of the link in my previous post is must watch

ā€˜I donā€™t want to hear from another constituent whoā€™s have a great lockdownā€™

1 Like

Thereā€™s a Bill Tormey here who was pro Water Charges. Has to be the same chap.

1. Have come up with the IT systems to support the vaccine roll out when it became apparent last year that weā€™d have a vaccine by Q1 2021.
  2. Follow the advice of the WHO and NIAC and get vaccines to the over 70s as fast as possible. Any vaccine is better than no vacccine. If the data subsequently shows that the AZ efficacy is much lower for over 70s you deal with that when you have the data.
  3. Outline a roadmap out of this mess. What is the targeted daily case number and hospital number to move out of Level 5? What is the case number and hospital number to move back into Level 5.
  4. Be less of a dictator and accept ā€˜questioningā€™ questions from the media.

Thatā€™s four while Iā€™ve been waiting for the kettle to boil.

18 Likes

This is a more in general approach and not just what I would do if I was in Tonyā€™s shoes

• I would be trying to get vaccines outside of the collective bargaining agreement in place and stop pandering to EU.

• Designate Covid specific hospitals whose sole function is to deal with people with respiratory issues. A high proportion of people in hospital for Covid acquired it while in there for something else. At our worst we would have needed 2500 beds. St James would possibly have been able to deal with half of that burden.

• Introduced antigen testing for reasons outlined above

• Nationalise private hospitals for other healthcare needs. Yes we didnā€™t need them up to now but buffer is needed to stop transmission in a multi purpose healthcare setting, albeit a very expensive buffer.

• I would not have implemented a lockdown in October and November and being only country in ECDC to do so. This resulted in pent up demand amongst population and leading to scenario in point 2 above. What will happen if we ever get out of this one?

• With a more measured approach we could have reduced the impact to the health system. Yes infections and hospitalisations would have occurred in Oct/Nov but would probably have been much more staggered and manageable instead of one big hit like in early January. Lessons have to be learned from that but we are repeating same flawed logic.

• Maybe listen to phycologists and behavioural experts inputs on what is the longest ongoing social experiment that has ever been implemented on a population. It is not hindsight to suggest that if you tell a population who have been locked down for most of the year that they will be locked down in early January again that they will make up for lost time and lost future time.

• I would also encourage people to look after their physical health, including diet, getting plenty of exercise, take Vitamin D.

• With respect to nursing homes. Again use antigen testing. Donā€™t use agency staff who have worked in multiple nursing homes. Designate 1 doctor per nursing home. Have someone responsible in HSE for staffing of privately owned nursing homes.

• Hire more than 1% of the 70,000 people who answered ā€œIrelands callā€. If staff are overworked demoralised relieve the pressure.

• Childcare for frontline staff like nurses and doctors.

• Pay student nurses.

• Proper reporting of vaccine roll out numbers. Give people some modicum of hope. A central database like other European countries. Poland has a nice one.

Yes this would cost a fortune but the pandemic has shined a light on the inadequacies of our health service now. We should know where the money needs to be put instead of a black hole that it has been up to now. You could argue this money was always needed pandemic or no pandemic. The money is there to seemingly pay people to sit at home to do nothing in perpetuity so why not spend it on health.

14 Likes