Coronavirus - the deadly virus that no one dies from

I’d imagine there’s a filter for location, depending on how you’d get the data dumped to you.

I’d also say there’s not too many people who die in Ireland not on rip.ie.

But fair enough, the data should be freely available internally as well.

You’d like to think it went without saying.

Some lads need everything spelled out for them.

If you compare rip.ie for same period in 2020
and 2019 you probably get a statistically useful comparator but yes HIQA should have information itself

Lads getting revved up here over very little.

What if you compared the register of deaths for the same periods?

That may be better but is there a time lag in when it is updated

Edit - you have 3 months to register a death

I’m after a massive feed of whiskey last night so I’m not taking responsibility for anything I post today.

1 Like

Did you break into the new one from Waterford ?

I didn’t. I’ve left that in a safe location where I won’t be tempted to break into it. Was tipping away on a rye whiskey and then Roe and Co.

1 Like

Not much worse than the flu in 2017 in the European countries that participate in this. Was that a bad flu? I don’t even remember hearing about it

https://www.euromomo.eu/graphs-and-maps/

I made shite of a few bottles of wine last night and shall be doing likewise.

#thankyoutony

:grin::grin:

But this not worse than the flu narrative is ridiculous as we were basically all locked in our houses for 3 months!

I read that somewhere between 98% to 99% of deaths end up on RIP.ie. They use it as it can take months for the official figures to be known as deaths are often registered well after the actual time of death.

“A death within the State can be registered with any Registrar, regardless of where it occurs. Deaths must be registered as soon as possible after the death and no later than three months from the date of death.”

With figures adjusted there is still 1200 extra deaths between march and June in comparison to 2019,
This was the news report right? Why are we getting bogged down in the 500 cases that may have been attributed to something other than corona?

1 Like

PS this is the second wave

We can thank science for all the clarity here.

1 Like

I suppose the question is does 1200 excess deaths, justify the shutting down of the entire countries economy?
How many will die because of delayed detection, treatment etc.
Will the long term implications of running a possible €30bn deficit mean less funding for everything from hospitals to better roads etc resulting in a knock on effect of thousands of deaths over the next decade that wouldn’t have happened without the governments reaction?

I don’t blame them for shutting down, Italy made it look like it was an end of days type disease.
But there has to be a level minded review of what we did and where we are, and whether any of it was justified at all. Clinging to the Incorrect narrative Will only make it worse

5 Likes