Coronavirus thread - 19/10/2020 - The Day Ireland Died

Absolutely. I would be astounded if they didn’t have such people on board,

The clinical psychologists were mostly wrong about what they said at the start. They thought the public would find it very difficult to stick with the lockdown, instead most Irish people now want the lockdown to continue for the rest of their lives.

Glynn needs some help though and Nolan too. I can’t believe they’re still using the “next 2 weeks are crucial line”. And Nolan’s solo run has caused them serious embarrassment and even forced them into an about turn that has been reported in the Irish Times. Nolan thinks he’s a maestro at the media game.

2 Likes

Interestingly it was the nudge team that Downing Street turned to at the start and were subsequently derided for doing so.

Now they are doing stuff like the 10pm curfew and seeing street parties develop. There is some theory that this is Classic Dom actually trying to encourage herd immunity though…

1 Like

The line about what NPHET should do from and not the people from @TheUlteriorMotive was dead on. The “next two weeks” has been parroted now for two months whilst it only just emerged that they weren’t properly tracing people.

4 Likes

I would really love if there were a few intelligent pro lockdown posters on here. There are some great arguments made here but it’s echo chamber flat track bully stuff as there’s no one to oppose them except the likes of myboyblue.
Has there been a good debate on any Irish media yet between some of the points made here and the opposite side?

Contradiction in terms mate. Never going to happen

1 Like

@myboyblue was all for hiding under the bed until they locked Laois down. Then he spat the dummy.

2 Likes

There was a lad who put a long pro-lockdown post up here during the week, a new poster, and I respected him for it.

Over here there is a record of everyone with a positive test and who their close contacts were. There are about 100000 people under quarantine constantly. The cops come around to your house every day to check that you’re there. It’s been like that since March.

Interesting point. I think the general mood around here was that it was the right thing to do in March and April. However the current haphazard make it up as you go along strategy by the powers that be, makes it very hard for anyone to make an argument in their favour.

I would actually like that too. I know one other person in real life who shares my views. One. And then you look at the headbangers who are protesting against the restrictions and you don’t want to be aligned with them but I can’t help but feel that we will be looking back at this in 4 years saying what the fuck were the government doing.

1 Like

I think the measures in March and April were generally correct, with the deaths in nursing homes replicated in countries we’d generally consider to be examples of good governance such as Germany, Sweden and Canada. The government took pelters over those deaths and every action since has been from a position of fear of the Twitter mob.

4 Likes

Exactly. Does the mob hold the same sway over NPHET?

NPHET are behaving as you’d expect a medical lobby to behave. There’s a few enjoying their time in the limelight but they will generally be risk averse and puritan. Our stringent opposition to Brexit and Trump has probably led us to a place where we’ve mocked our neighbours so much for deriding experts we’re boxed into a corner. The only way out is getting other experts to contradict our experts

3 Likes

Guy I know in real life, who I would respect a lot, thinks lock down and restrictions should continue. His point to me was the deaths and hospitalisations don’t happen in two weeks like NPHET said but build over a six to eight week period. He’s involved in medical industry. He reckons county lockdowns are a bit pointless given that so many people live on and move around county boundaries.

During the original lockdown they regularly published the amount of patients with covid 19 in each hospital. Are they still doing that. It would be interesting to see what the story is in Letterkenny over the next few weeks .

It’s now nearly October. A light needs to be shone on what was done over the quiet summer months. Were these lads all on leave

It’s like they didn’t think schools opening might ramp up testing pressure. But sure it’s their first pandemic so we’l cut them some slack. Equally it’s clear they are learning as they go and people are entitled to challenge them.

248 cases

5 deaths

104 in Dublin, 37 in Donegal, 36 in Cork, 8 in Kildare, 8 in Westmeath, 6 in Kilkenny, 6 in Laois, 6 in Offaly, 5 in Longford, 5 in Monaghan, 5 in Wexford, and the remaining 22 cases are in 11 other counties.

1 Like

They’ll have to lock Cork down.

Cork city. They’ll make another exception.