Coronavirus thread - 19/10/2020 - The Day Ireland Died

I thought the rest was more of an attack.

Telling them that they haven’t thought through what they’ve proposed and picking it apart is far worse. That was questioning their competence.

The point on the PUP was that Government have to take broader based decisions in the context of public health vs economy line that Byrne was going down. That is the same always.

2 Likes
1 Like

This is a complete misrepresentation. We all know the danger with covid is its exponential growth.

You’re being very silly.

There is no evidence to suggest that has happened anywhere yet, least of all in Ireland.

You can believe it if you want but it’s completely without basis.

How we got from Thursday to Sunday and snakes and ladders of moving from level 2 to level 5 has to my mind and any person with half a brains mind totally undermined NPHET now. Without getting into the whole ramifications of level 5, we would have been an outlier in Europe if not the world in our approach. People can point to very strict measures in a couple of boroughs of London or arrondissements in Paris but they are just that - a couple. The rest of those countries have far more freedoms than we have even at our current standing never mind level 5.

One of 2 things happened. Narcissist and megalomaniac Holohan saw Varadkar undermining work of epidemiologists with comparisons to Belgium last week and looking at other metrics and decided he would soften his cough. Or Holohan was trying to usurp Glynn and wanted some more of that glorious media fawning. Either way he is a dangerous man and his position is untenable.

4 Likes

he could have said the government have to consider the broader economic and social circumstances of level 5 and not “none of these lads have to go on the 350”. Sounds like something you’d hear down the pub or on twitter not from the Tanaiste of the state. Made him look weak in my opinion.

And it’s a risky thing to do. If it goes to hell in a handbasket over the winter, NPHET will be in a stronger position than they ever have been

2 Likes

The ugliest boyband ever seen

1 Like

Some people have an exponential growth bias and can’t comprehend it.

Varadkar is always quick to have a pop off a weak target, put him in a room with Trump and he starts nervously babbling like a schoolkid.

I’ve been critical of the government’s approach in Ireland for a very long time but that doesn’t mean you should either make up things or dismiss facts.

Lol, Trump :grin:

That photo is a work of art.

ROD holding court like a Roman Emperor while Danny Healy Rae gruffly stands with his hands in his pockets with all the decorum of ROG meeting the Queen

1 Like

If you draw a line in the sand at July 1st. (picked as a point where the initial wave had clearly ended)

Up to July 1st:
25477 cases
1738 deaths
Mortality Rate: 6.8%

Since July 1st:
13072 cases
72 deaths
Mortality Rate: 0.5%

With a mortality rate now of 1/13th of what it was before it’s pretty difficult to rationalise NPHETs suggested move to Level 5 and more importantly the implications of those restrictions.

There needs to be a conversation around why the cases are rising so quickly compared to deaths. That conversation is not happening in the public domain in any meaningful way and it needs to. Taking the broad strokes from the WHO yesterday of 10% infection rate worldwide, that would mean there are ~500k people in this country who have or have had covid. While you can only take that as a round guide, the 38k cases we have confirmed is fiction. We know this.

One suggested reason for the uptick in cases relative to deaths is that PCR tests are finding legacy positives on a large scale. If that is the case then that is a huge problem. If you can’t tell the difference between someone who has covid and someone who had covid we’re going to spend the whole winter misclassifying people.
e.g. Someone who tests positive for covid(but no longer has covid) and has a respiratory issue that isn’t covid. It’s likely that such a person would be classified and prioritised incorrectly.

Our ability to differentiate real cases from old ones, given our limited resources, is going to be a huge issue.

Edit: fixed my numbers

16 Likes

Your graph is way off. It doesn’t factor in deaths from December, January and February when we weren’t testing for covid or recording deaths.

So you’ve no idea of the actual growth.

Best post I’ve read on this for a long time.

It’s not my graph.

1 Like

Well you posted it. I think lads aren’t listening the only reason deaths aren’t rising is because the vulnerable are protected.

I think we are very close to a point where the vulnerable aren’t protected anymore.

The deaths will begin to shoot up if he stayed in level 2 in my opinion.

There’s been a lot of speculation on why we don’t have more deaths currently. Knowledge is better and treatment is better, and the concentration of cases in time is less.

One factor I wonder about is whether many of the most vulnerable have already passed.

Ireland had a very high number of deaths compared to the rest of the EU very early.

Positive cases have been rapidly growing. Hospitalisations and deaths while increasing are not tracking the speed of that growth yet thankfully. And hopefully they won’t. People especially the vulnerable are taking more precautions. The problem is that if covid hospitalizations continue increasing even by a small enough percentage the system won’t cope. Because the system is always over run every winter. Are you disputing this?