Coronavirus thread - 19/10/2020 - The Day Ireland Died

This is the key factor?

Just how potent is the virus actually.

Clearly we know itā€™s very contagious but the chances of it killing a fit and healthy person are extremely remote. Obviously the elderly and vulnerable need to be protected but the whole restrictions seems to be a bit sudden and an overreaction.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a fair point but people get older every day and therefore become more vulnerable.

You canā€™t dismiss the fact a lot of vulnerable are self isolated still.

When itā€™s all over and done with the death rate will be the litmus test on how bad the virus actually was. I think the initial lockdown was certainly justified and actually should have happened much earlier but I think the restrictions now are a complete overreaction.

Gov planning and response has been very poor.

1 Like

Iā€™m a day older today than I was yesterday. Iā€™m 46% more likely to die today than yesterday.

Once you hit 30 you are in decline :sunglasses:

Itā€™s going to be a bit like the Spanish flu, innit?

It will die off sometime in early 2022 and weā€™ll all gradually get back to normal having being failed by science.

2 Likes

No Iā€™m disputing your initial post. Itā€™s wrong.

Arenā€™t you 100% MORE likely to die today than yesterday

9 Likes

No, the modeller I employed reckons Iā€™m 46% more likely to die today than I was to die yesterday.

There was well over 500 people waiting on beds last January. Currently there is 250 people waiting on beds according to coppers stats. NPHET wanted to put the country in lockdown yesterday. Things could deteriorate rapidly. Then again they may not.

Not necessarily in the case of Covid-19; you could die(or un-die) months ago from that particular ailment.

4 Likes

Comparing the response pre and post covid is obviously nonsense. Youā€™re being silly.

Was Leo too honest again, to his detriment politically. At least the farce SF are is being slowly exposed with only the posters with kool aid drinking problems still on board desperately trying to claw at ā€˜FFGā€™

Tony like many doctors comes across as a narcissist, wanted to throw his weight around and over did it. Key point was if their five week circuit break didnā€™t work, what was the plan? There was none but Tony and the lads were willing to gamble wildly, if it paid off they were the smartest kids in Europe. If not, not their problem, the economy tanking is a political issue, seemingly unconnected to their advice.

Some good posts on here, keep the ideas coming plenty of lads not afraid to give opinions. A few who are terrified of arguing but run around at nothing more than calling others out for ā€˜being sillyā€™ sad but thatā€™s the character of lack of prevalent in this debate.

2 Likes

Iā€™m up for this. My next two holidays after Krakow are going to be Lombardy and Wuhan. Iā€™ve just a wee cough to get over first.

3 Likes

Itā€™s amazing you could type all that while your guy ā€œ ROD ā€œ is backing this government to the hilt.

Also throwing in how Nolan spoke down to the GAA? The GAA has flaunted all guidelines throughout the pandemic in a disgraceful manner while other sporting associations toed the line.

You are a gas hypocrite.

1 Like

@Fulvio_From_Aughnacloy you might not like this, Iā€™m thinking if emailing Michael McDowell when Iā€™m back and saying that itā€™s time for old adversaries to band together to liberate the country. Maybe I could canvas for him or something but Iā€™ll see what his plans are first.

Thereā€™s a lot of great posts here but Iā€™m all out of likes.

Youā€™re wrong there. The GAA were very good at the start but it all went balloobas at county final time.

10 Likes

They were when it was behind closed doors. As soon as crowds were let in the exact thing that nphet were worried about happening happened

Apparently the rubby clubs and members have been flouting the regulations in a big way. Well according to some random lad on twitter whose unverified view Iā€™m more than satisfied to run with. But theyā€™re cute enough not to record themselves and post it on social media, unlike the excitable muldoons after county final success.