Coronavirus thread - 19/10/2020 - The Day Ireland Died

Myself and Johnny will sort you out when in charge

1 Like

A lot of the lads on checkpoints now are straight out of templemore.

There was a time in the Spring when all you had to do was turn on your laptop for 3 weeks and you became a Guard.

These lads are the ones manning the checkpoints and they haven’t much of a clue.

You haven’t much choice if you had to go to work. Say you were a nurse, finish your 12 hour shift and then get stuck on the M50 for hours. What alternative would you have had?

These checkpoints are up for the winter lads. The one on the M50 at Bray has two portaloos & a cabin.

Friend of mine was nearly in a serious car accident on Wednesday. Coming up to a bad bend at a bridge, car coming the opposite way didnt take the turn and smashed straight across the road into the wall of the bridge. Pissed drunk. My mate called the guards, the nearest station was about 2 miles from the incident. Told there was no one at the station as they were on check points. Him and another man who came upon the accident then had to try flag down cars on approach as the road was entirely blocked. It was dusk and lashing rain and the two lads, one at either side of the incident trying to slow cars down so they didnt crash into the already crashed car. The guards were over an hour before they got there. The check point was doing fuck all use, actually dealing with serious incidents would be far better served with their time. People all over are losing their minds over Covid 19 and all sense of reality is being lost. The absolute focus in it at the sacrifice of so much else is just mind boggling.

25 Likes

By Christ you’ve it summed up there.

1 Like

they should have planned their journey

13 Likes

I’m not at all embarrassed, I wasn’t sitting in traffic like a gom.

That’s not a new thing. I told this story before but well before lockdown a Guard was out doing community outreach in a primary school, no idea what that involves but anyway, some one I know was teaching there and he came in and said he might have to shoot off at any minute as he was the only Guard in Listowel Garda station that day as the other two were in court.
That station covers an area at least an hours drive across. If he was called to something at the two ends whatever was going on would have been over by hours before he got there. I suppose the three of them are standing on a road in Duagh or something this week

1 Like

Don’t say it too often but yes they were. They gave a week or so doing the checkpoints.
I think there were less cars on the road obviously bar the few that were essential travel.

Gemma & Johnny are proud of you.

They sent Marty Morrissey up to the Covid hotspot of Donegal too for a couple of minutes Of Ah Sureing with a few lads from Kilcar.

2 Likes

Absolutely, the reduction of gardai in rural areas and significant drop in recruitment and numbers is a major issue, and I suppose the fact that they are now wasting what little time they have on a waste of time exercise just highlights the inefficiencies in the service.

1 Like

Luke o Neill on newstalk earlier talking about John fucking Lennon in that typical, condescening, knowing way he talks down to simpletons by asking questions in the middle of soliloquay without pausing to allow the person to answer, its wonderful- like with Pat Kenny two days ago

“eeh Luke O Neill, we are headed to level 5 and full lockdown”
" heh yahh , morning pat, I was just doing a research paper for a publication in Atlanta and we noticed that antibody testing was progressing- lockdown , that’ll be difficult wont it pat?, but yeah we have to get this thing under control do you get me? . Look that’s what us immunologists do we look at the trends but then you take this nasty protein, lets call it XonY salt – ok that’s ok for ya pat? = yeah look that could be the key to this whole thing… nail that protein - that’s what we have to do"

15 Likes

:smile:

Luke is an immunologist not an epidemiologist and has no special skills in the Covid area. No chance Pat would put this to this shaper.

1 Like

What’s needed is a good immunoepidemiologist.

2 Likes

That reminds of DJ Carey and ger gilroy talking on the radio the other morning.

Gilroy puts it to Carey that when Kilkenny players ring up Cody to tell him they are retiring he can be very cold and not really give a fuck.

Carey proceeds to tell a story about Cody begging DJ to come back playing after he’d been out injured for six months.

I’m surprised they’d enough room in the newstalk studio for gilroy and djs egos.

1 Like

My niece, a 4 year old was ordered to get a test on Monday. The test didn’t happen until yesterday and they got the results today, negative thank god. They we’re told that the whole family have to self isolate for ten more days are the test is only 70% accurate. What a fucking joke.

7 Likes