Coronavirus thread - 19/10/2020 - The Day Ireland Died

Dublin is lost

cc @binkybarnes

Huge fall in cases. Over 20 per cent down. Dublin numbers are stable for last two weeks.

I was thinking today if the virus had been advertised back in February and march as it appears to be now ie a tiny percentage of those who get it will die (and almost all of those are very old or sick already), a few will get very sick, most people will get just a small bit sick or have no symptoms and children appear to be unaffected and not spread it. Would we even have done any type of organised lockdown?

Everyone governments, health professionals and the public were rightly afraid of the virus back then as it was so unknown but the problem appears to me that the media and authorities are still treating it and talking about it in the same way now even though we know its not as bad.
You’d hear phrases on the sports news like there is ‘carnage as it sweeps through international teams’ . I doubt any of them even knew they had it.

6 Likes

I’m grand. Thanks for asking pal

Fuck it anyway

2 Likes

So true. This isn’t about a deadly virus that’s decimating the population of the world. What happened in Italy back in April is concerning for sure but the scaremongering from government and their RTE propaganda machine is about the chronic shit show that we have as a health service. It falls over every winter due to the common cold ffs

2 Likes

R number in Dublin is now approximately 1
1.6 elsewhere

1 Like

For the 1012 cases confirmed yesterday

Time to take down the students

A very good article.

1 Like

You think the risk of hospitals being overwhelmed and thousands dying is gone? Interesting.

No that danger is still there but I don’t think anything I said above is untrue either

Mortality is around 5% of total cases with this virus. That is nothing at all to be sniffed at.

The virus spreads like wildfire. That is because we are in a global pandemic. This virus has never been in a human before and hence runs from human to human with lightning exponential speed.

If we didn’t lockdown the country in March then we would have had multiples of cases and hence multiples of deaths. If we don’t distance ourselves now we are in big trouble as well. I really don’t get this ‘it’s NPHET’s or the government’s’ fault. Yes they may do things better but they are up against a once in a lifetime event here and it’s bloody difficult to manage.

There is no magic bullet. There is just upheaval and a lot of pain for many but for me this is just part of the condition of being human on this earth.

7 Likes

There’s a lot I agree with in that but at the same time I would be critical of NPHET and the government, a lot of countries have managed this a lot better than us.

1 Like

And many a lot worse.

Our shit health service is killing us. And that goes back years.

Whine whine whine. Come up with a solution instead of all the bitching maybe.

Wtf? Where are you getting 5%?

2 Likes

The brother is a principal in a primary school I was talking to him this morning. Very hard to manage its not just washing the hands after the jacks it’s after everything and trying to keep up the social distancing. Then school finishing and car pooling and public transport

1 Like

Do you think testing captures all cases?