Coronavirus thread - 19/10/2020 - The Day Ireland Died

Wasn’t there something posted up on here from twitter about Ireland’s overall death rate for 2020 tracking lower than previous years? I think it might have been one of the Ballysteenians that posted it cc @TreatyStones or @Julio_Geordio?

Limerick and Clare are playing next week. Cant wait to sit at home and watch it on my own. If we win, I can continue to sit at home on my own and look forward to sitting at home and watching the Tipp game on my own.

There is a lag in registering deaths but the trends should be clear eg 2018 winter deaths being higher than this year but April 2020 a clear outlier

2 Likes

Same as the US, a spike in April, trending down since then, and now running well below prior years.

1 Like

June, July, Aug and particularly Sept are outliers too. Is it just a timing thing and Covid just brought forward these months deaths by 1-3 months.

1 Like

A bad flu basically.

Those numbers in Ireland anyway do not suggest we’re in the midst of a pandemdic which proportionally justifies the restrictions and lockdowns.

Maybe in time a few more deaths will be re-certified.

1 Like

I think though that those numbers are wrong in terms of not fully up to date for the last few months.
The figure was 1200 excess deaths around a time when we had about 1700 deaths. It would be lower now YOY as deaths have been lower than normal according to that Momo site. Maybe 1000 to 1100 at a guess

Afaik there is a 3 month deadline to register so September deaths won’t be fully baked in. It’s possible that there might be other hold-ups with delayed coroner’s reports and lockdown slowing down public administration. The CSO data is a bit slow but analysis of Rip.ie listings has confirmed the pattern that aside from April the rest of the year is in line with trends from 2018/9

3 Likes

Apparently there is a 3 month lag so June should be closed off. Big drop.

Even May is a lot lower than what you would suspect.

I’d guess Ireland won’t actually have any excess mortality this year, particularly with the way we’re going on renewed restrictions.

I think you could summarize it roughly as a very bad flu for old people, a bad flu for middle aged people, a cold for younger people, and a nothing for young kids.

One of the things people forget is pneumonia kills a lot of people every year, whether it started with a cold or flu, or a complication from some other illness. Pneumonia is around 10% of all deaths, and fairly constant throughout the year.

1 Like

I guess one of the fallouts from this is people wont be developing immunity to cold and flu as they would in regular times.

My grandfather on my mothers side went in to get a kidney stone out and died of pneumonia 20 odd years ago

1 Like

RIP. Same happened to my grandfather, had a mild heart attack and died of pneumonia in hospital. What do they say, a hospital is the last place you want to go if you are sick. You would hope one of the hidden benefits here is just a higher awareness of infectious diseases, especially in health care settings.

It’s one of the things a lot of doctors are worried about, especially for kids. They need to build up a healthy immune system and the only way to do that is getting every flu and cold that’s going. Keeping them isolated and distant from other kids is not good longer term.

1 Like

Having the schools open is important for that. Its worrying alright if kids are not able to build their immune systems

1 Like

I would say they should be reasonably ok if the schools are open. At least they’ll get out and about over the winter.

Stay away from the numbers discussion mate.

Excess deaths are down massively for the year, compared with last year.

1 Like

The same happened my grandfather also. But I think he was in hospital for some kind of cancer.

That’s brilliant. We should keep these restrictions forever

1 Like