Coronavirus thread - 19/10/2020 - The Day Ireland Died

There is no contact tracing. Maybe Leo will don the scrubs again and get on the frontline.:grinning:

Pussy or Posse?

Random thoughts

Why is saving a life from covid seemingly more important than saving a life from suicide caused by economic collapse. They are already happening all over the country. Or saving a life from an illness undiagnosed or untreated due to delay.

Nobody wants people to die. But we’re all going to die. Pulling out all the stops to save one category at the expense of others doesn’t make any sense to me.

The case rate is almost irrelevant to be honest. What matters is pressure on hospitals and of course the death rate.

Maybe a lot of vulnerable people have already been killed by this and that fact results in a lower death rate.

Did the government purposely drag their heels on upping hospital capacity when cases dwindled mid summer? If this is a once in a century pandemic it didnt seem so from the response.

If they are going to deal with their obsession,cases, they have to grasp the nettle on house parties. Nothing announced today will do that.

8 Likes

votes

1 Like

#fearoftwitter

The median age of death from Covid corresponds to the median age of death and its risk factors are the risk factors to die.

Would it not make more sense to tell everybody over 60 to stay at home in a bubble til Christmas. Don’t go out or leave the house.

Turn that attempt into a success every time with the .308 Winchester full metal jacket. Supersonic out to over 1,200 yards, it’s my ‘go-to’ projectile on all assassinations. Just be careful of the recoil, you may need to practice first on some cabinet members.

1 Like

A long long time ago
I can still remember how
That music used to make me smile
And I knew if I had my chance
That I could make those people dance
And maybe they’d be happy for a while

But February made me shiver
With every paper I’d deliver
Bad news on the doorstep
I couldn’t take one more step

I can’t remember if I cried
When I read about his widowed bride
Something touched me deep inside
The day the music died

Is the median not much higher than 60?

It is. I was building in headroom.

Lot of fit and active people in their sixties would hardly abide by that. Maybe just tell the fat ones to stay put.

:smile:

Put simply - if you don’t take the vaccine when it becomes available your liberty will remain restricted.
2 Likes

2 Likes

When? The vaccine is already here

I like that term - “commonpass” won’t affect the funders of that noble enterprise I’m sure.

Something similar being tried here as well.

No doubt the future of travelling abroad.

But where is this fear of a “huge death rate” coming from now and what evidence supports it? The evidence is that the death rate is higher than the seasonal flu for the elderly and some with health problems, lower than the seasonal flu for teenagers to age ~65, and essentially non existent for children. We have not seen a spike of deaths again like April imo because the vulnerable are minding themselves/being minded and those getting the disease by and large are the younger healthier cohort.

In terms of excess deaths the reason to compare April with January is January is historically the high month for deaths due to the seasonal flu, cold weather, etc in the northern hemisphere. Once the awareness was there and people started taking precautions, the number of serious cases dropped off. The reality is in Ireland and outside Ireland overall deaths are back to a normal weekly range, that includes the US where if you listened to the media is a Covid disaster zone.

Like everything Covid related, the same data can be used to argue pro and anti lockdown stances. Was the drop off in deaths seen after April due to the lockdown, or due to the measures taken by the majority of people in terms of social distancing, hygiene, etc., or as you alluded to the fact many of the most vulnerable had already died? Some of all three and other factors like improved treatment protocols no doubt.

3 Likes

Health insurance, work permits, driving licence, access to health care and education, public transport…