Coronavirus Thread (Markey hates Immigrants )

All those people out protesting with no social distancing. Pity its not BLM or something lefty.

Does anyone know the rules for travelling from Ireland to the UK from next week on if fully vaccinated. No need for PCR in either direction?

Seems to me that at minimum a lot of the OIUTF crowd like to give that impression at least. There’s a huge cognitive dissonance among OIUTFers because of how wrong they’ve consistently been which leads them into “flood the zone with bullshit” techniques. Sarcasm, bluster, selective focus, denial, and Gish galloping - which is the favoured technique of one particular poster here, and is also the favoured technique of a lot of right wing media commentators - to confidently assert a whole load of bullshit claims with the aim that your opponent will be tied down trying to go through each bullshit claim one by one.

The reality is this Delta thing is exploding - and I’ve been warning this was on the cards for three months now. Some countries will be hit worse than others based on their vaccination status. Ireland won’t be one of the countries that is worst hit in terms of deaths - but we will have serious disruption and if we allow mass spread we will be hit with an epidemic of serious illness, and we will have plenty more deaths.

I don’t think it’s unrealistic to think that the US, where vaccines have been under an all out right wing culture war attack, will return to the situation of having daily cases in the hundreds of thousands and daily deaths in the thousands. I don’t see how it avoids it.

18 days ago I suggested that 900 cases a day if we opened indoor pubs on July 5th was a very optimistic scenario indeed.

That assessment was literally laughed at here.

18 days later, without indoor pubs opening, we’re well over the thousand daily cases and still officially have a plan to open pubs on July 26th (though I would be surprised if this goes ahead now).

Probably time for some people to stop laughing.

1 Like

But no one has outright denied its existence. We all accept there is a new novel coronavirus that may or may not have come from a Chinese lab. The OIUTF members of the forum have questioned the offical line of how deadly it really is. Based on evidence it is only deadly to those over 70, have immunocomprising conditions and/or are obese. Yes there are some healthy people who have died with this disease or suffered long covid but these are outliers.

Based on the evidence fit heathly people have over 99% survival and at worst a few days of an awful cold/flu like symptoms.

With the vaccine there is over 90% extra protection on top being fit and healthy. The vulnerable are now long vaccinated and the unvaccinated are young and healthy with incredibly low risk.

The vaccines are effective against the delta variant.

So why are we locking up? There is a very small risk to society as a whole. This is the questions we ask Based on the evidence on front of us. Not moving goalposts everytime we get close to opening Based on previous asks

7 Likes

But we are not locked up. We have very good degree of normality compared to a few months ago.

To dismiss Delta as a threat seems pretty denialist to me.

NPHET’s pessimistic scenario was 566k cases over the next three months. I still don’t expect that to happen because I expect that government and society will pull back if there are serious signs we are going in that direction, but we’re seeing the seeds of how it could go that way if things are let.

The UK has seen x 25 case growth in the last two months and things may well be about to get a lot worse there.

I don’t really see how we can keep daily cases below 5k in the near future, ie, the next two to three weeks. From there you’re on a road to it spiralling out of all control and mass panic.

You do some job to gp to the extreme. I am not denying its existence but highlighting the relative risk it poses to deaths, icu numbers and hospital numbers. Cases don’t matter a fuck with 60% of the population fully vaxed. The remaining 40% are very low risk (not no risk).

Delta spreads faster but isn’t as deadly, thats how viruses work.

We can 20k cases a day but we still will have no deaths reported due to the cyber attack. The hack was manna from heaven for LIDTF as the public are unable to see the deaths are near zero.

1 Like

Deaths are near zero because of the public health measures over the last six months which were consistently opposed by the OIUTFers here, allied to vaccination.

Those measures are no longer adequate.

Cases absolutely still matter. Everything flows from your case load.

It certainly seems like they are singling them out :grin:

1 Like

You don’t get it do you? Vaccines work, we can’t live in fear forever. No one will make you engage with society when we open up but that’s your choice.

2 weeks protect the vulnerable, flatten the curve. That was the original scope.

I’m not going to engage with you on covid anymore mate.

1 Like

How many times do you need to be told that the threat to normal society lies in infection rate rather than in serious illness/death rate? Can you not process this distinction? Or are you just ignoring the distinction for reasons known only to yourself?

Fair.

Although my laughing was at your judgement of the “optimism levels” of the modelling.

Actually that still gives me a giggle.

In fairness, good. A shower of cunts running the place.

Uttering a slogan from 16 months ago as a justification for letting Delta rip is not an argument.

You’re perfectly entitled not to engage with me.

But I very much do get it about what is happening. OIUTFers hate that and that is why they are afraid to engage with me.

I mean on another thread you have one of them demanding New Zealand let Covid in ASAP.

It’s not surprising the chap who uttered that one shuts himself away from debate. But also a bit hypocritical.

Feel free to laugh at me being proved right within 17 days.

Whats the difference between this and any other virus? It kills more people. We have a vaccine that reduces the risk to levels we see with other viruses. Case load doesn’t matter a fuck with 60% of people fully vaxxed

1 Like

Oh jaysus…

1 Like

I could be wrong, but I’ve a feeling the same journalist also had a few stories in 2’19/‘20 on the Ivy’s policy of management/owners retaining a portion of staff tips.

3 Likes