Coronavirus Thread (Markey hates Immigrants )

It’s only a theory, better ignore it.

CDC probes rare cases of heart inflammation in vaccinated teens, young adults

Several dozen mostly mild cases have been reported in the U.S.; officials don’t know whether they’re linked to the shots

They stopped people coming in early. That obviously worked (at a cost). I’ve never said anything to the contrary. But I dont think their approach is feasible for Europe/North America. And they’re not mentioned in the graph.

It’s the prolonged lockdowns like our level 5 that have been disastrous. There’s no difference between cases/deaths in places that had them vs places that didn’t.

That would be why our death rate is considerably lower than most first world countries, so.

The age demographic of our country. The mass exodus of economic migration of people born between 1945 and 1970 greatly makes us look better and bumped up the likes of the UK and parts of the US

Oh no, the anti vaxxer Zero Coviders are back

3 Likes

Not when those businesses are having their opening hours, capacity and other costly restrictions being imposed upon them.

I’d put that down to our younger population.

Banning travel is an easy idea, but it’s incredibly difficult to implement. In my unit alone in the airport, we have two lads who live in foreign jurisdictions who work there. One lad who drives from Belfast, the other flies in from Brussels. That’s very common in Ireland. I would imagine it’s almost unheard of in NZ, Australia and Taiwan.

Them two lads are essential workers. They HAVE to travel. And with that, they obviously run the risk of carrying in the China virus or a variant of same.

I don’t see the point of going for a zero-COVID approach whilst they, and literally thousands more like them, will be travelling anyway. It ends up hammering poor Indian nurses or Brazilians who have gone home for a funeral etc.

6 Likes

Teenagers being vaccinated for this is all types of wrong.

Oh no, policy proven to work. We need to avoid that at all costs. We have always needed to do that.

Requirement for vaccinated people travelling to Ireland to quarantine at home will be revisited later this week.

Ireland could not go for Zero Covid alone.

Neither could the EU.

Wider Europe perhaps, but it would have required hyper border restrictions from counties who have less than friendly relations with European democracies.

By February 2020 it was irrelevant in Europe and North America.

I suspect that next time out that every country will go for strict travel bans from wherever has a dangerous virus emerging but that’s moot ph Covid approach. We cannot measure a lot of the costs of lockdown right now but we can start to make a good fuse at it in terms of lost schooldays.

1 Like

Europe’s border is too leaky for that. Ditto the US. Australia and New Zealand made full use of their natural advantages and more power too them.

That will move up the travel timetable.

It won’t be credible to fine people trying to leave the State anymore.

Has Zero Covid been proven to work in any country with a land border with another jurisdiction?

@Cheasty it’s an interesting analysis as to one of the reasons why we have performed better in the death rates

North Korea

1 Like

Agreed. I don’t think it was possible really once it left China’s borders.

I think there are two points;

1. what was the right course to take after the first lockdown on Covid-19

2. what is the best course to take on the next pandemic. Of course the transmissibility etc would impact on the course of such a pandemic but I don’t think there’s much doubt that countries will jump on flight bans to try and choke out a novel virus once it is noticed. Immediate suppression is the order of the day

This is where the Zero Coviders make their big mistake. Arguing for 2) in the future might be reasonable but 1) has been a distraction and undermines their credibility. The sensible ones like Luke O’Neill got off that train once the vaccines arrived. The Scottish governments Zero Covid enthusiast has also got off that train from yesterday.

You can argue for immediate suppression next time out but that ship sailed 16 months ago on Covid-19.

3 Likes

South East Asia has mostly adopted it but the key point is that they all have gone for it.

Spot on there really.

200 MORE POSTS… OMG.

There’s a few players here who need to start easing themselves off this thread or there will be a serious hole in their e-psyche once this is all over in 4 weeks’ time.

2 Likes