Coronavirus Thread - Pause before - The Final Battle (Part 1)

Exactly. The sole focus has to be domestic issues until such time as this pandemic is over. The very, very last thing that should be countenanced is international travel. I might not get to Italy in the next two years but we have to make the country a better and less restrictive place to live in until such time as we’re through the other side of this.

@glasagusban has been actively campaigning for restrictive lockdown measures in Ireland while wanting to be able go on weekend breaks to Berlin and Lisbon.

1 Like

Those fuckwits that were returning home in streams in March and April are asseholes.

Good point. International connectivity is fundamental to our economy and existence.

We don’t have an economy and hospitality industry when we can’t sort out our domestic issues.

The priority has to be domestic issues not your entitlement to a weekend break in Lisbon.

But sure what’s the point of opening up for two weeks in December Then closing down for two months in January?

It makes no sense. We need to open Up and stay open this time.

You keep linking international travel to hospitality. How quaint.

Again, it’s not my fault you fail to understand the importance of travel.

Our hospitality industry was actively thriving in the summer.

I spent a few nights in Bundoran in July and they said it was the busiest it had been in well over 20 years.

The hospitality and entertainment sector will survive on domestically generated income until such time as international travel does not pose a risk.

1 Like

Yes.

Because the vast majority of international travel is related to tourism.

Essential travel is still permitted.

It’s not my fault you are thick as pigshit.

Tourism Ireland says the opposite.

They don’t.

Hotels were absolutely avalanced with booking requests during the summer months when they were open to the domestic market.

The problem is not international travel, it’s excessive lockdown restrictions imposed on them domestically which you are all for.

Making up lies is not debating.

So why are you making up lies?

Thats because there was a small window to take a break. Domestic tourism is not even near enough to sustain Irish tourism market. We got 11.2m tourists from overseas last year alone. Well over 2m are American who spend a lot more money here than the average tourist.

Ok if this is the level you’re at there’s no point in replying to you any more.

A bit of mental gymnastics on display from snowflakes.

Jacinta crushed the virus, yassss kween.

But she did it by strictly controlling travel and immigration etc. Sure Aussie citizens can’t go back to Oz without permission. Best ignore that.

What, Leo and or holohan say travel is not advisable, thats pure fascism.

4 Likes

People should be allowed return home from disease riddled shitholes so they can have a slap-up meal and make their annual (virtual) attendance at mass.

1 Like

Ireland opening domestic travel isn’t going to save the tourism industry. The tourism industry is fucked due to worldwide Covid restrictions. Domestic tourism will see it through as best it can in these times. The hospitality industry is fucked due to worldwide Covid restrictions, the aviation industry is fucked due to worldwide Covid restrictions, the pro sports industry is fucked due to worldwide Covid restrictions, the entertainment and arts sector is fucked due to worldwide Covid restrictions.

The tourism and hospitality collapse is not to do with a travel ban, it’s to do with the worldwide impact of Covid.

Personally I have no interest in travelling internationally even if I could because we live in a very restricted world at present. Across Europe you can’t go to a gig, a theatre, a football match, eating out and drinking experiences are completely sanatised, cultural hotspots have limited capacities.

These are the issues, the problems in societies across Europe, not a fucking travel ban.

How much has the hospitality sector missed out in this country alone on the All Ireland finals, 6 nations matches and barstool EPL fans not being able to watch these in a pub? All the stags/hens/weddings that have been cancelled?

International travel is the least of our worries domestically.

You’ve conceded defeat because you have not got any valid points.

Your last post was a lie and now you’ve thrown the towel at it.

You’ve been utterly eviscerated here.

Can we get the government to define what is meant by the word “meaningful Christmas’. If I’m not allowed go for a couple of pints or go down home to see my family it’s particularly meaningful. In fact it’s pretty shite.

2 Likes

Sure pal.