Coronavirus Thread - Pause before - The Final Battle (Part 1)

Iā€™ve no idea, I donā€™t know any elderly Swedish people. I donā€™t recall using the word fear anyway

Iā€™d say the culture of respect to the elderly has a bearing on the figures in different parts of the world alright.

So maybe we didnā€™t really make a balls of it?Maybe the 62pc figure reflects a good job elsewhere? Fellas are very certain about everything here and youā€™re far from the worst

It could be. In fairness there could be any number of intangibles at play here. People from different cultures live differently, interact differently etc.

Clarity will be lacking for many years on this. The full picture and scale of the reactions wonā€™t be known for a long while after we are out of the woods. Everybody is focussed on the fight. The real analysis will come after.

My problem is with fellas so certain we are doing everything wrong.

My own opinion is that we were slow enough to lockdown back in March. I also think they were too quick to lock down this time, quite possibly due to the slow reaction to the first one and how bad things got (not bad relative to some places and worse than others)
I can understand why they did though. Itā€™s a balls. But itā€™s a shit show the world over. In 6 weeks weā€™ll be back to being able to hopefully control tracing and isolating for another couple months and hopefully by then we are further down the road for an effective treatment for the people most vulnerable

2/3 months could make a huge difference.

3 Likes

Munster playing well tonight

Cardiff not going away though

No, but itā€™s an enjoyable game.

1 Like

Coombes is a magnificent player.

@Malarkey with a few in him is a wonderful sight on the internet

11 Likes

I hope you are well in London tossi. Send my regards to the mrs and fintan.

The next 2 months, 2 weeks, 2 days, 2 hours and 2 minutes are absolutely crucial.

Heā€™d want to watch himself, Rigsy is well connected

2 Likes

Oh come on man

2 Likes

Iā€™m glad I moved into a bungalow

1 Like

Letting people live over the age of 60 is the big mistake we are making. The cost on bullets would be a lot cheaper than on their healthcare.

Quoting Trump now, by God.

Iā€™ll tell Mrs Oā€™Sullivan what you said.

@Malarkey. On your Sweden vs Ireland question, I donā€™t have a whole lot to add to Timā€™s response. There are so many factors involved in Covid death rates, and a lot of nonsense is talked on the subject, much of it politically motivated. First of all you can only trust the data from countries that are doing a reasonable job of correctly attributing deaths to Covid, based on testing and/or probable cause based on symptoms.

Comparing counties adjacent to each other doesnā€™t offer much value, Belgium borders Germany and the respective death rates are 931 per million compared to 121 per million. By your logic Belgians should be livid with their government. Sweden is 586, the UK 662, Ireland 380. Over time the death rates in western countries are converging, the US is 697 although there is a big variation among states but that has been narrowing.

My personal opinion is the death rate has mainly to do with the numbers of elderly in care homes (high percentage of early deaths) and the general health of the population. The age profile is a factor but not a big one in larger European countries, 65+ varies from 18% in the UK to 23% in Italy. Ireland is 13% so maybe thatā€™s a factor along with being an island and outside of Dublin being sparsely populated. The ongoing high death rate in the US is almost certainly mainly due to higher levels of obesity and poor health.

I think we all agree there is no right answer, and so many factors to balance between trying to control the spread of a pathogen, protecting the most vulnerable, educating our kids and young adults, protecting peopleā€™s livelihoods, protecting businesses that will be vital to provide future employment, caring for the mental wellbeing of the broad population, etc. My opinion is Sweden, although they made mistakes early, have the balance more correct than most other western countries. Time will tell, 2021 and 2022 will be instructive in that regard.

Where do we go from here?