Coronavirus Thread (sponsored by Anthony Fauci & Pfizer) (Part 5)

Would we not expect positivity rates to be increasing since close contacts are no longer advised either to isolate or to get a test?

If only those with symptoms are going for tests then it stands to reason positivity rates will increase.

Sure look it, it’s a conspiracy, something something.

No, it’s gaslighting. They’re literally lighting the gas.

But numbers are increasing.

Precisely because close contacts are no longer advised to isolate or get a test.

Levels of Covid unfortunately require constant monitoring. If you take your eye off the ball and decide to stop monitoring it, Covid will do its thing.

The first place you have evidence of it doing its thing is when people start turning up to the hospitals. And that’s a bit late to start realising you have a problem, isn’t it.

Yes covid levels are increasing. That was expected.

But you’ve ignored my point, which was only that there’s an obvious reason positivity rates are going up. It’s a policy choice.

It’s the wrong policy choice. It’s the “throw your hat at it” policy choice.

That’s a view. At least you acknowledge the reason for it.

The reason for it is that government has come to a view that continued containment is too hard.

I think there’s a very good chance that that will mean we end up having to do something a lot harder.

Again, a well trodden path, that one.

But without context, its hard to really say what the impact is. Now I’m not saying its not serious, I’m just saying that the info we have does not clarify it. It could be all serious cases in ICU and hospital, or they could be “coincidental” cases. Plus the age category is a major factor in this. Personally, as long as the vulnerable and elderly are most protected, then I’m not as concerned at the situation as say this time last year. Not to say concern is zero, but as long as the worst affected grouping are kept safe, that’s key.

And I dont wish to compare this to flu as there are obvious differences, but at the same time its the most comparable winter illness to it. But numbers are going to increase in winter, no matter what is done. Indoors more often, climate, etc. All conducive to increased numbers. And it will happen next year, and the year after too. Much like flu can be a serious illness to get to vulnerable people at this time of year too. I dont particularly like the term living with covid, and I know you dont either, but if we need to lockdown every time numbers start increasing, then this is a never ending rollercoaster for the rest of time. And that may just be it and if living with it means lockdowns forever.

2 Likes

When we opened up society it was inevitable the numbers would rise.

That’s an incorrect interpretation of the conclusion the government has arrived to.

Every other government has arrived to the same conclusion incidentally.

I don’t believe anything we’ve seen in terms of figures in the last week or so is coincidental.

I can only say what I see what is likely for this winter. At the moment, it looks rollercoasterish. It looks a bit like we’re walking into another bus.

I don’t know what it will be like in future winters.

I think the amount of deaths the UK have had since July is more evidence that flu is a terrible comparison. I really do think we should quit the flu comparisons altogether.

1.1 million people in the UK are suffering from Long Covid.

Most of the elderly have vaccination protection, but that protection is not total. As long as Covid is being driven by lower age cohorts, it will seep out of those age groups into the higher ones.

See how the explosion in 10-14 year olds is dragging up the case levels for 65+ in the UK.

“Lockdown forever” is a very unhelpful term and is creates a false binary. It attempts to vilify those who don’t want Covid overwhelming us and don’t want to go backdown as lockdown loving fanatics.

There has to be somewhere in the middle between no restrictions and lockdown. But Ireland, for the most part of this at any rate, only seems to do binaries.

1 Like

No I don’t think they have. I think they’ve mostly gone for broke at the same time because of a sort of chicken and egg syndrome. There has been an awful lot of copycat policy across countries. America moved, because America is America and in much of America they just don’t care. The UK - which is and has been the most irresponsible country in western Europe, then moved, which prompted others to move. Others again move because those others move. The distinct possibility is that one domino will have led to the lot of them moving, wrongly.

Ireland is moving, in my view, purely because the rest of Europe is moving and it cannot afford in monetary terms not to do what others are doing. There was strength in numbers because we were part of the EU who were all doing something at least broadly similar for 18 months. Once the numbers of countries doing something similar to Ireland started declining, the government decided it couldn’t hold out any longer. Because money.

Other countries with better health infrastructure, and obviously I’m thinking particularly of Germany here, may feel they have some solid ground to think they can withstand a winter wave - and they could be right.

Does Ireland? Much, much more doubtful.

Are lads still shiteing on about Long Covid?

:rofl:

Ah here, the stupidity of some is just beyond a joke at times.

12 Likes

The ZC doomers are always good craic, they deny the impact of seasonality during the spring and summer but after their doomer predictions for those months don’t come through, it’s all about winter. If all that fails, it’s some shite about long Covid. They’ll be crapping on about this for years and years now.

4 Likes

“long covid” is an even bigger cod, dreamed up by the comfortable work from home wankers to draw this thing out as long as possible

7 Likes

It’s a very serious issue

1 Like

lolzers

Putting us all in danger, you hate to see it

Do you honestly believe everything you typed there?