Cost of building

If only we knew of some cowboy labourer just home from carrying blocks on the sites of Australia who could help out?

2 storey bungalow??

[QUOTE=“carryharry, post: 1078275, member: 1517”]Question, pal.
Thinking of building a 4 bedroom house. Not overly gone on a 2 storey house, would like a bungalow. Lads in the trade maintain the cost of a high roof on a bungalow ( option of more space in an attic etc. ) is so much that building a 2 storey makes more sense. Opinion on this?

Also, if building a 2 storey house. Would you highly recommend pouring concrete on the first floor to keep down noise from upstairs? Okay it would cost a lot more I would imagine, but would it improve heat retention both upstairs & downstairs?[/QUOTE]
Concrete floors are hugely expensive and slow builds significantly. Lots of benefits to them, but it’s something to consider.
You can use other forms of sound barrier with acoustic bedding on sub floors etc. the proper use of fixings and glue can make a huge difference in noise, creaking etc

Dormer?

Speak of the ass and he’s sure to pass :clap:

Thinking of building a 4 bedroom house. Not overly gone on a 2 storey house, would like a bungalow. Lads in the trade maintain the cost of a high roof on a bungalow ( option of more space in an attic etc. ) is so much that building a 2 storey makes more sense. Opinion on this?

Also, if building a 2 storey house. Would you highly recommend pouring concrete on the first floor to keep down noise from upstairs? Okay it would cost a lot more I would imagine, but would it improve heat retention both upstairs & downstairs?[/QUOTE]

I’d say it’s probably the area of the roof that would make it expensive rather than the height.

Precast concrete slabs are the way to go if you can afford that. Not sure what the difference in cost is

Harry will need to clarify

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1078301, member: 273”]Concrete floors are hugely expensive and slow builds significantly. Lots of benefits to them, but it’s something to consider.
You can use other forms of sound barrier with acoustic bedding on sub floors etc. the proper use of fixings and glue can make a huge difference in noise, creaking etc[/QUOTE]

Need not be overly expensive and can speed things up if he used Eco joists with a liquid floor screed finish on top of osb

I’ll send you a PM when I get a chance mate.

[QUOTE=“Fran, post: 1078305, member: 110”]I’d say it’s probably the area of the roof that would make it expensive rather than the height.

Precast concrete slabs are the way to go if you can afford that. Not sure what the difference in cost is[/QUOTE]
Doesn’t make any sense that the material for a denser roof would significantly outweigh the materials for a whole floor, not to mind the labour. An empty attic against a finished 1st floor?
Not sure I get that thinking? Only thing I can think of it’s a, slightly, harder roof to build.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1078301, member: 273”]Concrete floors are hugely expensive and slow builds significantly. Lots of benefits to them, but it’s something to consider.
You can use other forms of sound barrier with acoustic bedding on sub floors etc. the proper use of fixings and glue can make a huge difference in noise, creaking etc[/QUOTE]

would hugely disagree with you here.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1078323, member: 273”]Doesn’t make any sense that the material for a denser roof would significantly outweigh the materials for a whole floor, not to mind the labour. An empty attic against a finished 1st floor?
Not sure I get that thinking? Only thing I can think of it’s a, slightly, harder roof to build.[/QUOTE]

Cost of slates possibly, double the quantity

Eco joists? Same as Smart joists?
Definitely good for speed, I really wonder about them though, well the smart joists anyway, they are flimsy and noisy. However osb on top alright might be the answer. Still needs proper fixing no matter what. The amount of times I have seen that not screwed off or glued is unbelievable.
Acoutibloc is a great product I used in Oz as well.
Expensive enough though, but still far less than concrete.

True, but are people going for slates still?

If you’re building a three bed dormer bungalow, it’s the cosht you’d be interested in.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1078342, member: 273”]Eco joists? Same as Smart joists?
Definitely good for speed, I really wonder about them though, well the smart joists anyway, they are flimsy and noisy. However osb on top alright might be the answer. Still needs proper fixing no matter what. The amount of times I have seen that not screwed off or glued is unbelievable.
Acoutibloc is a great product I used in Oz as well.
Expensive enough though, but still far less than concrete.[/QUOTE]

No the joist is a steel web with timber top and bottom for fixing to. No twisting or shrinkage. Added strength too for carrying a screed.

Slates, tiles, copper whatever, still double the quantity. There are slates on my roof and the house was built about 2 years ago

Bungalow, with option of higher roof. I’ve seen a good few built in recent years & home owners had option fitting a stairway to a further bedroom if wanted down the road.

Are we talking about the same thing?
I worked on both. On a standard house The form work would take 1-2 days depending on size of crew, then another day pour, then 20-30 days set that nothing can happen.
You’d have timber floor, walls and roof all tied in completely in that time and more.
Cost of form alone in Oz was 15-20k, not to mind concrete etc.

I just cannot see how they are comparable.

Ya, still would be surprised if it’s significant enough to advise an extra floor instead of a bigger roof.