Cost of building

Opinion on these Nordic timber framed passive house builds as per the link in @The Selfish Giant 's earlier post? Lads?

Ah right, looked it up there. Makes sense alright, never used them. Only smart joist, which are shit.

Said if here recently but the economics of building a house doesn’t stack up at the minute. Loads of supply at below build cost (outside of cities). I don’t think 100psf would get you anything with a decent finish.

Be prepared to have 15 k spent before you turn a sod cost of planning etc etc, then make your council contribution. I built a house before. What a pain in the bollocks of a job. I thought I’d be smart and tried to do it direct labour not a great idea when I had limited enough knowledge of the process and no skills to do any of the work myself bar acting as a gopher.

If you want to plough on with limited budget

• find a decent builder who you can go see some of his previous work. Ideally he’d have worked for people you know
  • some companies will gave several “templates” you could choose from this will save a few quid on own design but likely a bit of trade off as design be basic
  • tie down every last thing into the contract up front

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1078371, member: 273”]Are we talking about the same thing?
I worked on both. On a standard house The form work would take 1-2 days depending on size of crew, then another day pour, then 20-30 days set that nothing can happen.
You’d have timber floor, walls and roof all tied in completely in that time and more.
Cost of form alone in Oz was 15-20k, not to mind concrete etc.

I just cannot see how they are comparable.[/QUOTE]

I have never heard of anyone building a floor of a house with insitu concrete for the entire floor. Precast insalled in a day. Any UFH and insulation in a day. Screed in a day. Set for a coupld of days. Would be 7 days from start to going back to blockwork. cost of precast and screed would be about €40/45 m2 all in.

[QUOTE=“dancarter, post: 1078386, member: 122”]Said if here recently but the economics of building a house doesn’t stack up at the minute. Loads of supply at below build cost (outside of cities). I don’t think 100psf would get you anything with a decent finish.

Be prepared to have 15 k spent before you turn a sod cost of planning etc etc, then make your council contribution. I built a house before. What a pain in the bollocks of a job. I thought I’d be smart and tried to do it direct labour not a great idea when I had limited enough knowledge of the process and no skills to do any of the work myself bar acting as a gopher.

If you want to plough on with limited budget

• find a decent builder who you can go see some of his previous work. Ideally he’d have worked for people you know
  • some companies will gave several “templates” you could choose from this will save a few quid on own design but likely a bit of trade off as design be basic
  • tie down every last thing into the contract up front[/QUOTE]

€100/ft2 would easily get you an absolutely top grade finish on a direct build house, including all fittings and furnishings.

15k before council contributions? what costs were you paying for to get planning?

IMO, the amount of massive new 2 storey houses built to huge spec & finish yet you can hear every footstep upstairs is ridiculous.

its the future mate, traditional building methods are finished

Bit of time/cost for a ring beam as well.

[QUOTE=“Gman, post: 1078394, member: 112”]€100/ft2 would easily get you an absolutely top grade finish on a direct build house, including all fittings and furnishings.

15k before council contributions? what costs were you paying for to get planning?[/QUOTE]

It might if you knew what you were doing and could get stuck in yourself

15 k before you turn a sod I said. Included the co contributions but worded poorly enough above alright

[QUOTE=“dancarter, post: 1078399, member: 122”]It might if you knew what you were doing and could get stuck in yourself

15 k before you turn a sod I said. Included the co contributions but worded poorly enough above alright[/QUOTE]

yeah fair enough. There are project managers out ther though who can run the job for you for little enough cost. contributions vary greatly in counties too. Mine in Wexford were €6,500 plus architect of about a grand. so wasnt that much at all before turning the sod here.

depending on the set up with blockwork, formwork for any ring beams may not be necessary.

I personally feel the lack of full height ceilings in a dormer is a negative.

Would you price in more than the €100 a sqft for doing an extension?
Is there a rough cost per square foot for a roof?

100%. I worked on similar Canadian pre- manufactured homes in the states and they were excellent when done properly (usually this means the company employ the on site fitters, problems arise when people try to get other to do cheaply). In far more severe weather than here they work really well, but Irish people have this ridiculous hang up about timber frames and not using block and brick.

I must have done 15-20 of them in Oz. Never did one here, but they obviously happen commercially etc.

So we’re talking about different things.

[QUOTE=“TreatyStones, post: 1078416, member: 1786”]Would you price in more than the €100 a sqft for doing an extension?
Is there a rough cost per square foot for a roof?[/QUOTE]
Ha, it’s amazing how different it is here. When I left Perth , extensions were at around 3k, renovations had gone to 5grand a sq. meter. A deck was about 200 a sq. meter.

Not sure what roofs are right now here, but I know they are creeping up due to regulations and a little bump in work. 100 seems pretty low to be honest.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1078433, member: 273”]Ha, it’s amazing how different it is here. When I left Perth , extensions were at around 3k, renovations had gone to 5grand a sq. meter. A deck was about 200 a sq. meter.

Not sure what roofs are right now, but I know they are creeping up due to regulations and a little bump in work. 100 seems pretty low to be honey.[/QUOTE]

:eek:

True story based on fiction :eek:?

@TreatyStones
http://www.roofcalc.org/metric-roofing-calculator-uk-europe/
Not sure how good this is, but I put in composite tiles on a simple roof and it’s 99 per sq mt.

Yip, I was coming in at 2-3k a sq mt and getting any budget concerned ones I went for.

Last bit of advice you’ll get.