Cost of building

[QUOTE=“Thumper, post: 1079034, member: 2305”]Are those grants still available?

A lot of contractors haven’t a notion. Or pride in their work.[/QUOTE]
They are available for refurbs.

tell me more about these “certifers” what standards are they enforcing? is it just building regs or what? what authority do they have?

€10k, but for you I’ll do it for €8k

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/pdf/2014/en.si.2014.0009.pdf

:eek: bargain.

They can stop a job. If they believe something isn’t upto scratch they can make it be taken down, re-done or whatever. They basically sign off on your work up to a stage.

Still more or less self certification.
Local Authorities should have Building Control Officers.

Someone told me before you end up paying as much with the grants for retro fitting as your limited with who you can go to get the work and they know that you are claiming the grant when pricing the job.

[QUOTE=“Mullach Ide, post: 1079125, member: 141”]Still more or less self certification.
Local Authorities should have Building Control Officers.[/QUOTE]aye, smells like a steaming pile of shite to me

[QUOTE=“Mullach Ide, post: 1079125, member: 141”]Still more or less self certification.
Local Authorities should have Building Control Officers.[/QUOTE]
Should they fuck, they are useless enough as it is.
In Oz you need to get certified as a builder. You then carry all risks and give warrantee the job for 10/15/25 years, depending on what it was.

I think it works to be honest.

so these “certifers” are basically like that BER cod a few years back, any tom, dick or harry can do a fas course for three days and become one, sure you estate agents and chippies and all sorts at that craic, a total cod

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1079132, member: 273”]
In Oz you need to get certified as a builder.
I think it works to be honest.[/QUOTE]who certifies the builder?

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1079132, member: 273”]Should they fuck, they are useless enough as it is.
In Oz you need to get certified as a builder. You then carry all risks and give warrantee the job for 10/15/25 years, depending on what it was.

I think it works to be honest.[/QUOTE]

It doesn’t work here, Priory Hall being a prime example.

no its not at all the same. the certifiers are held liable for the build. if they sign off on it and something goes wrong, they are held accountable under PI insurance. Not any tool can go do it.

It’s not really in their interest to cock-block though as they are paid by the client

Not the same pal, the assigned certifier will generally be an Architect, Structural Engineer or Services Engineer or all of the above, but they are generally certifying their own design. On larger projects the contractors sub-contractors will be ancillary certifiers where they are providing design.

Must be a member of RIAI, SCSI or IEI

A combo of the Oz Master Builders types org and their equivilant of HETAC/FETAC. It takes 4 years at night or 2-3 years taking a full day off every week. You have to have it for anything over 25k.

It’s still better than what it was.
Surely anything structurally wrong or mishaps or cracks or whatever within a certain space of time become the responsibility of the certifier? So it’s in his/her interest to make sure everything goes to spec and is done to a decent standard.

What’s in it for them to do it? Will a lot of them not stay away?