Cost of building

Money, you’d have to assume.

No but they can weed out poor workmanship and client isn’t paying out for stuff not done or done poorly.

Money for that = stress and worry. It would need to be significant.

You are not in Oz anymore Dorothy. :rolleyes:

seeing some of the quotes given, its highly significant. some are charging over 20k for a house. others dont think it changes their role at all and charge accordingly just for the additional paperwork.

I think this makes perfect sense really. I do feel that extra responsibility deserves fairly serious returns though.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1079153, member: 273”]It’s still better than what it was.
Surely anything structurally wrong or mishaps or cracks or whatever within a certain space of time become the responsibility of the certifier? So it’s in his/her interest to make sure everything goes to spec and is done to a decent standard.[/QUOTE]

A certifier can’t be held responsible for latent defects, you can inspect a concrete pour, take cube/slump tests etc. But this was being done before the amendments came in.

Not really, they would all have the PI cover already for this anyway, that’s all that’s at risk here and unless it’s a significant defect it would hardly be worth the clients time going to court over it.

You’re out of your depth here fella. Take a seat.

So where do you think it should fall?

20k seems ridiculous and not the scale I was thinking on. Who is paying this?
There seems to be differing views on responsibility here between you and Mullach?

That sounds ridiculous, architect doing it on a 20,000sqft retail store for a lot less

www.sdcc.ie/sites/default/files/publications/guide-to-commencement-notices-building-control-regulations-1997-2014.pdf,
Some relevant information in the link above.
As the client appoints the certifier and can declare themselves to be the builder then it’s just self-regulation.

Roofs and plumbing are generally the major issues, can you see a certifier getting up and inspecting such things?

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1079180, member: 273”]So where do you think it should fall?

20k seems ridiculous and not the scale I was thinking on. Who is paying this?
There seems to be differing views on responsibility here between you and Mullach?[/QUOTE]
I don’t see any differing views?

€20k! For a paper trail, people won’t be long copping onto that.

Fire safety is the major issue, kev, certainly as far as the local authorities are concerned.

He seems to think the certified holds more responsibility than you believe.

I’m talking about workmanship and later accidents. One of the most likely disasters in an Irish home is a major leak or plumbing issue that leads to flooding and maybe ground floor ceilings coming thru or the likes of that.
Is a certified responsible for that?
Or like your example, responsible for a fire caused by poor wiring?

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1079194, member: 273”]I’m talking about workmanship and later accidents. One of the most likely disasters in an Irish home is a major leak or plumbing issue that leads to flooding and maybe ground floor ceilings coming thru or the likes of that.
Is a certified responsible for that?
Or like your example, responsible for a fire caused by poor wiring?[/QUOTE]
I’m assuming the certifier will rely on confirmations from subbies for the wiring and plumbing the way they always did but Id say they’ll as sure as fuck check things like fire breaks and fire doors the way they never did before.

Fuck me but this is quare boring to read

1 Like