Cost of engineer for a house

I am building a bungalow in the next few months. My engineer says he will cost 4,500. A friend of mine who recently built a house reckons the engineer is taking the piss. Would anyone here have any idea?

No idea mate

2 Likes

What is the extent and scope of work you have asked him to do?

Are you building a Mud Hut?

1 Like

Well I’ll be honest I’m totally clueless with regards the building of the house. He knows that. Basic bungalow I’m building.

@gman

4,500 ???

Depends on the scope of his work and if you are opting in or opting out of those regs that came in a few years ago. I think for one off builds you can opt out, but sometimes the bank insists you opt in.

My engineer for an extension recently was less than half of that cost, but that was self certifiying.

Yeah,4,500.

Well what did he tell you he’s providing for the 4K? Have you and architect on board also or is the Engineer doing everything for you?

Very poor lack of info making it difficult to help our new forumite.

Engineer doing everything. House about 1500sq feet. Hoping to build for about 120k.

Fyp.

€4.5k is not bad for that but it’s up to you on what value you get out of him. Would you not be better off getting an architect involved instead. At least you get some good design input.

Sounds small, would you not spend the extra few quid and have plenty of space and negate further work down the road.

What type heating system are you thinking of going with?

Is he getting the planning organised for you as well?

Bank might not let architect certify works done for mortgage purposes

If he’s doing the drawings, plannings and bank certs then that sounds ok.

Remember you are going to be paying a lot of shitty fees that are the same regardless of the size of the house, like ESB and water connections. Then you’ll have a hefty council contribution too. The three of them could cost you anything up to 15k

2 Likes

Just give him the name of the roofer to avoid and leave it to the lads who know what they’re talking about.

4 Likes

Wattle and daub in the County Clare.