Coursing 2010/11 - The Road to Clonmel

By popular demand the annual coursing thread has arrived.

In this week sporting press we have the first draft of the fantsy couring list, with all last years, TS winner and and runners up listed along with the all-age winners.
We also have the announcement that there have been 411 coursing bred litters registered for slips this year wirth the vast majority of them being by Bexhill Eoin, wiht last years big flop Jayney Mac Aroos coming in second.

We now have 5 weeks to Kilflynn and Liscannor, gormless has granted the netting licence and it is all systems go go go.

On the agenda is a TFK Coursing Jamboree pre christmas also.

The Fixtures, for your perusal.

Liscannor Sat,Sun 25,26 Sept
Kilflynn Sat,Sun 25,26 Sept
Glin Fri,Sat,Sun,1,2,3, Oct
Westmeath United Sat,Sun 9,10 Oct
Ballyheigue Sat,Sun 9,10 Oct
Cashel Sat,Sun 9,10 Oct
Regional Sat,Sun 9,10 Oct
Westport / Loughrea Fri,Sat,Sun 15,16,17, Oct
Abbeydorney Sat,Sun,16,17 Oct
Crohane & Killenaule Sat,Sun,16,17 Oct
Edenderry Sat,Sun,16,17 Oct
Mallow Sat,Sun,16,17 Oct
Fermoy & Grange Wed, Thurs 20,21, Oct
Ballinagar Sat,Sun 23,24 Oct
Charleville Sat,Sun 23,24 Oct
Gorey Sat,Sun 23,24 Oct
Miltown-Malbay Sat,Sun 23,24 Oct
Thurles Sat,Sun 23,24 Oct
Castleisland Sun, Mon 24,25 Oct
Waterford Sun, Mon 24,25 Oct
Lixnaw Sat,Sun 30,31 Oct
Freshford Sat,Sun 30,31 Oct
Limerick City Sat,Sun 30,31 Oct
Mitchelstown Sat,Sun 30,31 Oct
Leinster Open / Trim Sat,Sun 30,31 Oct
Galway & Oran Thurs, Fri 4, 5 Nov
Co. Carlow Fri, Sat, Sun, 5,6,7 Nov
Cappoquin Sat,Sun 6,7 Nov
East Donegal Sat,Sun 6,7 Nov
Listowel Sat,Sun 6,7 Nov
Ballyduff Fri,Sat,Sun 12,13,14 Nov
Dungannon / Co. Cavan Fri,Sat,Sun 12,13,14 Nov
Borris-in-Ossory Sat,Sun 13,14 Nov
New Ross Sat,Sun 13,14 Nov
Clonmel & Kil. Sat,Sun 13,14 Nov
Knockgraffon Fri,Sat,Sun 19,20,21 Nov
Balbriggan Sat,Sun 20,21 Nov
Enniscorthy Sat,Sun 20,21 Nov
Killimer/Kilrush Sat,Sun 20,21 Nov
Rathcormac Sat,Sun 20,21 Nov
Rathkeale Sat,Sun 20,21 Nov
Bandon & Careys X Sat,Sun 27,28 Nov
Doon Sat,Sun 27,28 Nov
Johnstown & Urlingford Sat,Sun 27,28 Nov
East Donegal Sat,Sun 4,5 Dec
Ennis & Clarecastle Sat,Sun 4,5 Dec
Newcastlewest Sat,Sun 4,5 Dec
Rathdowney Sat,Sun 4,5 Dec
Glanworth Wed,Thurs, 8,9 Dec
Athy Open / Old Kilcullen Fri,Sat,Sun 10,11.12 Dec
Castletowngeoghegan Sat,Sun 11,12 Dec
Dungarvan Sat,Sun 11,12 Dec
Ardpatrick & Kil Sat,Sun 11,12 Dec
Tradaree Sat,Sun 18,19 Dec
North Kilkenny Sat,Sun 18,19 Dec
Nenagh Sat,Sun 18,19 Dec
Roseberry Open Sun 26 Dec
Borrisoleigh Sun,Mon 26,27 Dec
Co. Kerry Sun,Mon 26,27 Dec
Cork Sun,Mon 26,27 Dec
Dundalk & D’Hill Sun,Mon 26,27 Dec
Mooncoin Sun,Mon 26,27 Dec
Roscommon Sun,Mon 26,27 Dec
South Clare Sun,Mon 26,27 Dec
Wexford & Dist Sun,Mon 26,27 Dec
Abbeyfeale Tues, Wed 28, 29 Dec
Fethard Open Tues 28 Dec
Millstreet Thurs,Fri 30,31 Dec
Galbally Sat, Sun, 1, 2 Jan
Clonakilty Fri,Sat,Sun 7,8,9 Jan
Ballymena / KilcreevinB’Mote /Tubbercurry Fri,Sat,Sun 7,8.9 Jan
Templetuohy Sat,Sun 8,9 Jan
Sevenhouses Sat, Sun 8,9, Jan
Milford Open Sun 9 Jan
Macroom Wed,Thurs 12,13 Jan
Cork Co. Open Sat,Sun 15,16 Jan
Newbridge Open Sun 16 Jan
Knockgraffon Open Sun 23 Jan
Dromina Open Sun 23 Jan
Clonmel & Dist Open Sun 30 Jan
National Meeting Mon,Tues,Wed 31,1,2 Feb
Duleek Open Sun 6 Feb
Fedamore Open Sun 6 Feb
Tipperary & Dist Sat,Sun 12,13 Feb
Irish Cup Fri.Sat,Sun, 25,26,27 Feb

What about the fantasy coursing?

Details in the Sporting Press Dunph. Pick you virtual kennel of all-age dogs, and folow them as they complete for Champion Stakes (and and Fantsy Coursing) points in the various 16 and 32 dog stakes between Kilflynn and Greenmount.

Which of the above fixtures would make for good beering?

Its not till Jan but Sevenhouses is hard bet for banter and beer in the ‘bar’ under the stand.

Every other fixture will have the tent, with Whiskey, Cans, Soup, Sangwiches and Stew.

I will gladly travel up Limerick way if ye can gaurantee me a run in the trialstake (provided I havent 3 won).

Jaysis, I can smell the wintergreen and poteen rub already.

Corn na Feile is sadly lacking in a beer tent, and I’m pretty sure a few of the other meetings out our direction are lacking them as well.

That is absurd.

I was at the meeting in Doon last year and there was no beer tent or any tent for that matter…

Ya, and I’m pretty sure there’s none in Mungret or Rathkeale.

The Kerry meets are great for beer. Abbeyfeale would want to cop on. The dates for Seven Houses would suit me. I think I’m in Germany for Glin though. I’m a bit stuck for weekends myself unfortunately otherwise I’d be driving this project along.

Anyone want to explain how this fantasy coursing in the Sporting Press works?

I could but get a copy of the sporting press tomorrow night / Thursday morning and all will be revealed.

The groud is like a car park all over the country, unless you have access to sawdust / sand gallop with an irrigation system, getting galloping into dogs is a big issue for plenty of lads. The idea of a hunt is out of the question in current conditions. I will not be going to Liscannor now anyway. Regional should be my first day out.

Catunda Ashmore safely through tonight’s couring bred semi final at Mecca but Athlacca Luck clocks eight spots faster in the other semi. Should be an interesting Adios Alonso at Stud Coursing Bred Final.

Catunda Ashmore should be heading to Mullingar for the Fair Warrior, thats where I would send him. Great dog. Wonder will be give a couple of cups a rattle again this year.

Dunph, the full list, competition rules , entry details and form are in this weeks sporting press wrt 2010/11 Fantasy cousring. Also a decent article on the Castleisland Coursing club, which I just glanced over last night.

At this stage lads ye should be putting some serious thought into the Fantasy coursing and who are ye going to send to virtual slips.

Some points for consideration.

The notables in clonmel last year for round 1:

Drive on Guest 12.57
Prevelance 12.56
Adios Alonso 12.38
Brazing Serpant 12.50
Caesar Music 12.56
Mafi Magic 12.57

Pre Clonmel betting:

Adios Alonso 6/1
Caesar Music 8/1
Mafi Magic 9/1
High and Mighty 10/1
Wilton Herald – 16’s to 6/1 monday morning.

Caesar Music had the clock of the second round at 12.55, but typical Droopys Caesar went backwards… Could be one for a few 16 cups though, would worry about staying power for 32’s. Capatin Dru put in a few good clocks in the T.A. Morris. as did Ibrickane Pat.

In the oaks, Lucan GLory, Needham Time, Helans Diva, Lisloose Accord and Lady Nimble impressed on the clocks, but you would want to be sure tehy are going to course this year before including them. Class Attraction was very young last year, but she should be one to note, Guineys paid big money for her in January.

Here is the last 8 in the derby.
DRIVE ON GUEST WHY TANYARDMOON ex MOUNTAIN GUEST [indent][/indent]12.57 12.68 12.79
MUCKY EAMONN BEXHILL EOIN ex SULLANE SIGN [indent][/indent]12.73 12.74 12.60

PREVELENCE CILLOWEN HARBOUR ex LANTERN GIRL [indent][/indent]12.56 12.62 12.72
ADIOS ALONSO JANEY MAC AROO ex EOIN BUI [indent][/indent]12.38 12.69 12.76

BRAZING SERPENT TULLAMORE ex LEIGH SHADOW [indent][/indent]12.50 12.64 12.76
CAESAR MUSIC DROOPYS CAESAR ex MORE MUSIC [indent][/indent]12.56 12.55 13.01

MAFI MAGIC BEXHILL EOIN ex CHUBBYS OG [indent][/indent]12.57 12.66 12.76
HIGH AND MIGHTY BEXHILL EOIN ex HOLLYHILL BLONDE [indent][/indent]12.70 12.89 12.80

Then the Irish Cup.

Pa Fitzgerald’s charges had a virus in Clonmel, and were wffected badly, but they cam back to form in Greenmount. The pups look good, Kerry Call and Calling. Call was shocking unlucky not to win it, after being made a cunt of in the semi-final.

Wallace Flyer was backed well, was the star on this first round clocks, and then tore a muscle off his shoulder, he has unfinished business and will be back this year from what I hear. You have to look hard at the Matthews kennel and Wilton Herald, Flyer, Likely Treble and Irelands Awake are sure to be pushing hard early on in the season for points.

Excellent preview, HB. I will be compiling my short list shortly.

Lads, if a fella could only get down for 1 day and 1 night, which would you recommend? Monday night and Tuesday?

I don’t understand how such a circumstance would occur. However probably Tuesday night and Wednesday, especially if there’s live Sky dogs on as Mulcahy’s is epic those nights.