Crash at Cork Airport

What type of aircraft was it? It obviously didn’t have the necessary instrumentation to deal with the weather conditions. I was watching Air Crash Investigation on Discovery last night as it turns out and it would seem most aircraft would be fitted with enough altimeters and positioning devices etc to aid a pilot in conditions like that.
Very sad news though and may all casualties rip.

If you were going to crash would it be better to land on the roof?

Apparently the aircraft wasn’t fitted with proper instrumentation to land in that weather. Just saw news at 1 there, the plane is in some wreck. You’d wonder how anybody got out alive. The fog has lifted now as well.

Tragic.

i believe they only ever put in 1020% more fuel than needed for a flight. Had it been full they may have been able to fly around fora bit longer.

Very sad, any idea on where the people are from etc?

You’d imagine that’d get you near enough to JFK then.

i’m sure shannon or kerry would have been better options if the fog was that bad

There’s even an airport in Waterford too isn’t there?

there is although its nearly always foggy down there. You’d have to hope they considered all options before attempting to land.

Sweep the mess up and get on with business.

Cork is prone to the fog isn’t it?

I was on a small plane only the once but I swore never again. You feel every breeze in the fucking things

aircraft are required to carry enough fuel to reach a designated back-up, probably farranfore or waterford in this case.
given that a fire broke out, there was fuel on board at the time of impact.
reading the updates, it tried to land 3 times, on runways 17 and 35, which would be in opposite directions (think either side of a motorway)
normally it’s 2 strikes and you’re out, unless something changes in the interim to make a 3rd attempt more feasible than the previous ones, like fog lifting or wind shifting direction.

the landing gear looks intact, god only knows what roll angle the plane approached the runway at, the wheels certainly weren’t the first thing to hit the tarmac.

the guys in the control tower must have looked on in absolute horror.

no sign of the cockpit, condolences to the pilots’ families.

I think I remember reading before that Cork Airport suffered more than most for extreme wind.
Apparently the fog was so bad that the tower could not even see the crash.
To be honest, if the plane can’t land itself in the fog then it should never have left Belfast.
Conversation should have been
"Hi, whats the weather like down there? "
“Hi, it’s very foggy. Visability zero”.
“ok, thanks for the update, we’ll cancel the flight”.

Yours etc,
GSH.

i think i initiated a discussion on this before after a plane i was on overshot the runway in Cork- think Kev confirmed its a bad location for an airport

if anyone has any aviation queries please feel free to PM me & in the spirit of charles kingford smith ill respond

kev,
it looks like the thing caught fire in the air, i presume this was a result of a mechical failure due to unprecedented overusage of the aircrafts landing mechanism.
either way what is left of the fusilage or the black box recorder will give an answer…

i do not know how many times an aircraft can abort landing before it has to try to land at another port.
one would think that once was enough to understand that the fog was to bad that he could not land,. in that case he was either v v low on fuel and had no choice to land or else there was an existing malfunction on board that forced him to come in to Cork

Is anyone else shocked that in this day and age a bit of Fog can cause a plan to crash. What with GPS etc I thought planes would pretty much land themselves. O’Leary said the other day that a co-Pilots job was to keep the Pilot awake as they were essentially useless. I know this was a small shitty plane but you’d think there’d be certain levels of equipment a plane would have to have before being allowed to fly?

i flew on a helicopter from Cobh to Ballinora once for a hurling match.
the fog over cork airport was bad i remember and we had to fly around it

And I’m sure a pilot can over-ride all that equipment if he didn’t trust it. Could be the problem.