Crash at Cork Airport

ā€œI know a pilot, I know a solicitor, I know the Presidentā€¦ā€

Thats all very well, but what professional qualifications have YOU got carter? Eh? None. Just a couple of poncey mates that drink in Nesbits thinking you are money

All talk but completely unproven

GET OUT OF THIS THREAD

:lol:

Your outa your hed mate!

Suicide pilot ā€˜felt guiltyā€™ over Cork plane crash

By Mark Lister and Eimear Ni Bhraonain

Friday April 29 2011

A HEARTBROKEN father yesterday told of how his son had hanged himself because of ā€œfearā€ and ā€œguiltā€ he felt over the Cork air disaster that killed six people in February.

British pilot Oliver Lee (29) used to fly for the Manx2 airline between Belfast and Cork.

Just days before the fatal crash, Mr Lee left the airline to join British-based Jet2, but he blamed himself for the tragedy.

He believed it would never have happened if he was at the controls, as he was familiar with foggy conditions in Cork.

Mr Leeā€™s body was found by a Jet2 colleague in the stables of his family home in England, which he shared with his father David (54) and sister Harriet (21).

David Lee last night said the Cork crash came as an ā€œutter shockā€ to his son, who knew the pilot well.

British co-pilot Andrew Cantle (27) was the designated flying pilot when the 19-year-old Fairchild Metroliner crashed on the Cork airport runway on February 10. The flightā€™s captain, Spanish pilot Jordi Sola Lopez (31), did not take over the controls ā€“ even after two failed landing attempts in the fog by the co-pilot, an initial air accident investigation found.

On a third landing attempt, the right wing tip clipped the runway and the aircraft overturned, skidded and caught fire.

Miraculously, six people survived.

David Lee said his son, Oliver, ā€œfelt stronglyā€ that if heā€™d been there, ā€œnobody would have diedā€.

ā€œHe knew the fog problems associated with Cork and he would say that he would have either postponed the flight for safety reasons, or landed it without incident,ā€ he added.

Oliver became very anxious after the crash. "Despite me and his colleague telling him there was nothing he could have done and it was not his fault, he just couldnā€™t accept it.

ā€œIf I had known he was suicidal, I would not have let him out of my sight.ā€

Speaking from the family home in East Morton, near Bingley, West Yorks, David said Oliver had been dating girlfriend Katie Long for more than five years, and had hoped to marry her.

Jet2 had offered Oliver a position flying Boeing 737s from Leeds-Bradford Airport, which is closer to his home, and he joined the Yorkshire company in early February.

His father added: ā€œAirports and airlines were in Oliverā€™s blood. It was his life.ā€

A spokesperson for Jet2.com said: ā€œWe are saddened at the news of Oliver Leeā€™s tragic death and our thoughts are with his family during this difficult period.ā€

• Mark Lister and Eimear Ni Bhraonain

Holy shit.

How could he blame himself for that?

Itā€™s a bit mad alright.

Iā€™l wait for Kev to let us know exactly what was going on in his head, but I reckon he had a lot of others issues and this was just a tipping point

Mother of God, thats ridiculous, thereā€™s no way heā€™s at fault for that. Youā€™d wonder was it really the reason even, something else must have been at play here surely?

Bizarre.

Correct & correct iā€™d say lads. Also could be the family looking to shift the blame away from anything internal. People around a suicide start thinking ā€œwhat could i have doneā€ as well, and they may be just magnifying something he had mentioned or spoke about.

But who knows with this subject.

Good campaign going on now actually related to suicide in Ireland through the media.

Also heard during the week there about a strange incident that was avoided in Cork Airport not too long ago, and the Traffic controllers were blamed, but the guy in charge in this particular incident was just after being told his mother/wife/son died or something along those lines and was upset and took his eye off the job. Strange one.

I read about that in the paper yesterday Kev.
It was back in 09 or something but the report was only published during the week. There was a police vehicle still on the runway when a plane was given clearance to take off. The cops had to scarper off the run way before they got mowed down! As you mentioned one aircraft controller had been left on his own in the tower after his colleague had received a distressing phone call.

Thats it, i heard it on the radio yesterday.

Jaysus they take their time with investigations on Aviation incidents. Whatever about a crash in the middle of the ocean, this could have been released a bit earlier.

I see some lad went on a rampage at cork airport earlier. Some footage of it on the news

I caught the bare end of the story on the news. What was his problem?

From RTE website:

The man was later overpowered at Cork airport after he broke through the security fence there and rammed several vehicles.

The man produced a knife to a garda who stopped him on Patrick St in Cork city centre at around 4.30pm.

He slashed the garda across the face, hijacked his garda jeep and drove off, ramming several other vehicles and forcing terrified shoppers to dive for cover.

He drove through the city centre, out the Southlink Road and up to Cork Airport, crashing through the security fence at the old terminal.

The man then hijacked a vehicle belonging to airport police after he produced a knife to the driver.

He rammed a garda car, injuring a garda inside.

He was making his way towards an Aer Lingus plane which was boarding at the time when his vehicle broke down.

The man was subdued and arrested.

He is now been questioned at Togher Garda Station having left a trail of destruction in his wake.

This lad is going to be in a world of troubleā€¦

Watch the video on the RTE site My link

Kevā€™s due to head to Australia any day now, isnā€™t he? :unsure:

The hysterical women in the background. :rolleyes:

There was a prominent hot-headed forumite in Cork todayā€¦

See the things that are wrong thread for all the motivation you needā€¦

ā€œShoot him, shoot himā€ :lol:

It was Gazza

A plane is attempting to make an emergency landing in Belfast Airport according to Sky News. Whatā€™s the weather like up there?

Grim