Crime comes to Leafy Fingal

#1

Ten people have been arrested in connection with the shooting dead of a man in Portmarnock in Dublin last night.

Seven men and three women are being held in connection with the shooting of the man in his 40s.

The shooting happened on Station Road in Portmarnock just before 10.30pm last night.

Shots were fired at a man hitting him at least once in the head.

The seven men and three women are aged between 24 and 56 years of age.

They are being held at various north Dublin garda stations.

The area around the train station and nearby apartment blocks has been sealed-off pending the arrival of a forensic team from Garda Headquarters.

A post-mortem examination is expected to be carried out later today.

Gardaí are appealing for anyone with information to contact them at Swords on 6664700, the Garda Confidential Line 1-800-666-111 or any Garda Station.

#2

The whole community is living in fear Farmer. We are just clinging to the hope that the victim was from Malahide

#3

Ever think of heading back to the home county DB?

#4

Plenty of times Farmer. Plenty of times.

At least the heart is there

#5

:clap:

I was around Fenagh over the weekend - what a beautiful little spot.

#6

THE ARMY was called in to help a Dublin local authority fill breaches in its coastline over the weekend after 1,000 sandbags laid on Friday and Saturday were stolen by Sunday.

Fingal County Council workers had laid sandbags to fill gaps in coastal walls in the Sutton and Baldoyle area. However, when council staff returned to these areas on Sunday morning to put extra preventative measures in place they discovered a significant number of sandbags had gone missing.

The local authority had to call in the Defence Forces to provide emergency sandbags at short notice before the storm hit on Sunday evening.

A spokeswoman confirmed that, following last week’s coastal flood risk warning, the council immediately began to implement flood prevention measures along the east coast with priority given to areas which had experienced flooding in the past.

About 7,000 sandbags were distributed to homes and businesses in these areas.

“In addition to this almost 1,600 sandbags were used to protect gaps in the coast walls at Baldoyle and Sutton and at some other locations along the coast. These were the smaller, more traditional type of sandbag.

“Other flood prevention measures such as digging out outfalls and clearing and checking screens were also carried out,” the spokeswoman said.

“On Sunday morning, in the region of 1,000 sandbags used to provide defences in these coastal walls were discovered to have been dismantled and removed. It was imperative that replacement protection be supplied as soon as possible to these locations. The council had a supply of additional sandbags; however, these were intended for last-minute calls from members of the public.”

As a result the council had to acquire additional sandbags from McKee barracks, which were laid by council workers on Sunday.

To ensure that these flood defence barriers remained in place, council staff remained in these locations for a number of hours on Sunday evening and Sunday night.

“We had crews there who would otherwise have been providing extra help to the public who instead had to be diverted to ensure the sandbags were not stolen,” the spokeswoman said.

She added that it was “extremely unhelpful” that it was necessary for the council, which has fewer staffing and financial resources available to it than in previous years, to redirect scarce resources to redo flood prevention works which had already been carried out.

The spokeswoman said it was difficult to see how members of the public might have mistaken the sandbags as being available for general use as it was “fairly obvious that they were there to protect the gaps in the coastal walls”.

The theft of the sandbags has not been reported to gardaí.

#7

Three red kites found dead in Lusk

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/images/2011/1118/283862_1.jpg?ts=1321660836

Three red kites which were found dead near Lusk, North County Dublin are thought to have been poisoned, the Minister for Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht Jimmy Deenihan has said.
Expressing his disgust on hearing the birds which had recently been released in the area had probably been poisoned, the Minister said he was appalled to hear of this kind of behaviour.
In July this year, 26 young red kites, were collected under licence from wild nests in Wales, and released in Newbridge Demesne with a further 13 young red kites released shortly thereafter from a private location in north Fingal.
A full postmortem on the birds has yet to be completed but the Minister said it was most likely the birds had been poisoned.
“I am appalled when I hear of this type of behaviour. We have been working closely with the Golden Eagle Trust to maintain Ireland’s biodiversity, with widespread public support,” he said.
“It is extremely disheartening to learn of this sort of activity when nothing can be gained from these types of actions. I can assure those taking part in such illegal and futile actions that they will become the target of the staff of the NPWS and every effort will be made to establish and prosecute those responsible,” he concluded.
The announcement of more poisoned birds of prey came as BirdWatch Ireland launched an appeal for funding to prevent the needless loss of raptors which are an essential component of a functioning naturally balanced.
Called “A Wing and A Prayer” BirdWatch said the most sinister and shameful threat to our raptors came from poisoning and persecution, which had devastated raptor populations, even forcing several species into extinction in Ireland.
“BirdWatch Ireland was instrumental in integrating changes to the poisoning legislation in 2010, to afford greater protection to birds of prey. However, further action is imperative. Despite now being totally against the law, in 2011 BirdWatch Ireland recorded more poisoning incidents than ever before,” it said.
It said the funds would be used to expand its current monitoring and research programme, support volunteer raptor wardens in targeted field studies and focus survey work to establish baseline information for the under-studied species.
Funds would also provide safe and secure nesting sites for key species, with nest boxes, baskets and platforms, ensure better protection of nesting sites of sensitive and endangered species and to continue research to determine the impacts of rat poisons on raptor populations.
In addition to a programme of advocacy and education funding would be used to continue active lobbying to stamp out illegal poisoning and for better enforcement of the law.

:frowning:

#8

:clap: :pint:

#9

Croppy? DB? Rocko?

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/suspect-held-over-emails-to-newsreader-sharon-ni-bheolain-30021964.html

[SIZE=5]A man suspected of sending “sickening” emails with sexual content to RTE newsreader Sharon Ni Bheolain (pictured) has been arrested by gardai.[/SIZE]

The 43-year-old mother of one has been subjected to a campaign of harassment and intimidation and received a series of emails, which were described as “vile”.

The ‘Six One News’ presenter reported the abusive messages to gardai. Their inquiries resulted in the arrest of a 37-year-old at an address in Portmarnock in north Dublin yesterday.

The suspect was taken to Raheny garda station where he was being questioned last night.

He can be detained without charge for up to 24 hours, excluding rest periods.

It is understood that detectives seized a computer and other equipment following a search of the Portmarnock address.

The Dublin-born journalist received doctored images as well as threats of a sexual nature as part of the abuse.

After interviewing Ms Ni Bheolain and examining the threats and emails, gardai carried out extensive inquiries to establish their source with the help of computer experts.

Irish Independent

#10

Has Sharon any links to Martin O’Neill?

#11

[quote=“Juhniallio, post: 905824, member: 53”]Croppy? DB? Rocko?

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/suspect-held-over-emails-to-newsreader-sharon-ni-bheolain-30021964.html

[SIZE=5]A man suspected of sending “sickening” emails with sexual content to RTE newsreader Sharon Ni Bheolain (pictured) has been arrested by gardai.[/SIZE]

The 43-year-old mother of one has been subjected to a campaign of harassment and intimidation and received a series of emails, which were described as “vile”.

The ‘Six One News’ presenter reported the abusive messages to gardai. Their inquiries resulted in the arrest of a 37-year-old at an address in Portmarnock in north Dublin yesterday.

The suspect was taken to Raheny garda station where he was being questioned last night.

He can be detained without charge for up to 24 hours, excluding rest periods.

It is understood that detectives seized a computer and other equipment following a search of the Portmarnock address.

The Dublin-born journalist received doctored images as well as threats of a sexual nature as part of the abuse.

After interviewing Ms Ni Bheolain and examining the threats and emails, gardai carried out extensive inquiries to establish their source with the help of computer experts.

Irish Independent[/quote]
Based on the age I’m guessing this man was taught by Sharon in her spell at PCC. We’ll surely know him.

#12

[quote=“Rocko, post: 905836, member: 1”]Based on the age I’m guessing this man was taught by Sharon in her spell at PCC. We’ll surely know him.
[/quote]
That’s the line of enquiry I’m going with anyway.

There was one student who regularly asked her to wear short skirts to school but she continued to wear trousers. He’s my prime suspect at the moment

#13

I was around Fenagh over the weekend - what a beautiful little spot.[/quote]

Been there, very nice place.

#14

So Sharon is 43.

Fucking hell!!

#15

T

[quote=“farmerinthecity, post: 906007, member: 24”]So Sharon is 43.

Fucking hell!![/quote]
thought she was older than that. I’d have had her closer to 50.

#16

[quote=“Juhniallio, post: 905824, member: 53”]Croppy? DB? Rocko?

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/suspect-held-over-emails-to-newsreader-sharon-ni-bheolain-30021964.html

[SIZE=5]A man suspected of sending “sickening” emails with sexual content to RTE newsreader Sharon Ni Bheolain (pictured) has been arrested by gardai.[/SIZE]
[/quote]
Released without charge. File going to DPP

#17

I think I may have this solved. I’ll send a PM when I get a chance.

#18

[quote=“Rocko, post: 906468, member: 1”]I think I may have this solved. I’ll send a PM when I get a chance.
[/quote]
:clap::clap:

Look forward to receiving same

#19

Look forward to receiving same[/quote]

I have a name.

I don’t know if it’s right or not.
It’s based on a confidential source who disclosed the profession of the accused. And then some guesswork based on a gentleman who works in that profession who has some previous in odd behaviour.

#20

[quote=“Rocko, post: 906502, member: 1”]I have a name.

I don’t know if it’s right or not.
It’s based on a confidential source who disclosed the profession of the accused. And then some guesswork based on a gentleman who works in that profession who has some previous in odd behaviour.[/quote]

Quality Rocko. Does the ‘previous’ include robbing knickers off washing lines?