Customer Service Experiences - Good & Bad

A bunch of Celtic Tiger hooray Henry’s getting a poor waiter the sack for the sake of making some kind of point.

1 Like

Says the most pernickity victor Meldrew cunt in all of Dublin!!

It’s Pint

1 Like

I’ve already bid everyone good night but I’ll quickly add my two cents here:

• @Bandage I rarely leave a restaurant until my payment has been taken away by the staff. This would have avoided a situation like the one outlined above.

• I had an absolutely awful experience in a pub on Merrion Row just before Christmas. I was out with about 15-20 people from work. We went for a meal and then on to said pub. It fell to me to open a tab when we got there. The barman could see there was a good crowd of us so he sent one of the bar staff take orders from our group. With it being the Christmas drinking season the place was rammed and we quickly decided to finish our drinks and head elsehwhere as it was uncomfortably packed and generally shit. I went up to the bar and asked to close out my tab. No problem says the barman and he brought out the credit card machine. He typed in €196 and handed it to me. I thought that was a bit expensive give we’d only gotten one round but I presumed some people has gotten a spirit and a mixer or doubled up so I just paid. I then asked for the receipt and that’s where the trouble started. First of all they told me it was a new machine and that they didn’t know how to print a receipt. A manager then came on the scene and messed around with the machine. He handed me three or four receipts, the total of which was about €50 short of what I had been charged. I pulled him up on it it and he just started giving me random receipts that were clearly for cash paying customers. I complained again and he offered to write me a receipt from a book. I asked how they were able to tell me my tab was €196 within a few seconds but they couldn’t produce a receipt or receipts for this amount. They clearly saw me coming in, large group, thought we were shitfaced and wouldn’t notice or give a shit. In the end I took the receipts and left. Went through the receipts the next day, fairly certain the real tab came to €102. Meant to call back but never got around to it. Will never go back to that shithole again. Must post a review to Yelp. Kept all the receipts as proof so will use them in my review.

That was hard to type on my phone but I needed to say it.

Night again lads.

1 Like

[QUOTE=“briantinnion, post: 1082786, member: 6”]I’ve already bid everyone good night but I’ll quickly add my two cents here:

• @Bandage I rarely leave a restaurant until my payment has been taken away by the staff. This would have avoided a situation like the one outlined above.

• I had an absolutely awful experience in a pub on Merrion Row just before Christmas. I was out with about 15-20 people from work. We went for a meal and then on to said pub. It fell to me to open a tab when we got there. The barman could see there was a good crowd of us so he sent one of the bar staff take orders from our group. With it being the Christmas drinking season the place was rammed and we quickly decided to finish our drinks and head elsehwhere as it was uncomfortably packed and generally shit. I went up to the bar and asked to close out my tab. No problem says the barman and he brought out the credit card machine. He typed in €196 and handed it to me. I thought that was a bit expensive give we’d only gotten one round but I presumed some people has gotten a spirit and a mixer or doubled up so I just paid. I then asked for the receipt and that’s where the trouble started. First of all they told me it was a new machine and that they didn’t know how to print a receipt. A manager then came on the scene and messed around with the machine. He handed me three or four receipts, the total of which was about €50 short of what I had been charged. I pulled him up on it it and he just started giving me random receipts that were clearly for cash paying customers. I complained again and he offered to write me a receipt from a book. I asked how they were able to tell me my tab was €196 within a few seconds but they couldn’t produce a receipt or receipts for this amount. They clearly saw me coming in, large group, thought we were shitfaced and wouldn’t notice or give a shit. In the end I took the receipts and left. Went through the receipts the next day, fairly certain the real tab came to €102. Meant to call back but never got around to it. Will never go back to that shithole again. Must post a review to Yelp. Kept all the receipts as proof so will use them in my review.

That was hard to type on my phone but I needed to say it.

Night again lads.[/QUOTE]
There are two pubs on Merrion Row.

Name & shame @briantinnion

Had a entirely unsatisfactory service experience just yesterday. I was in a pub in blackrock that sells cheap beer and food. Lets call it, the three tun tavern, yeah thats vague enough. Its too soon to discuss it. And its an extremely boring story anyway.

1 Like

a lot of people coming across really badly on this thread

That sounds like a horrific experience

A pal of mine went to a new gastro pub in didsbury called the didsbury lounge. He ordered drinks and food which included bread. When the bread was delivered it was actually mouldy. He complained to the manager who informed him it wasn’t mouldy, it was “olive bread”. He asked the manager to eat some, in that case. The manager declined.
This is true so I have no problem naming the place.
@Bandage , I would want to have been absolutely certain before ringing someone and basically accusing them of theft. Name and shame.

[QUOTE=“Bandage, post: 1082725, member: 9”]
Is that pretty bad on the restaurant’s part or a simple error and nothing to get too worked up about?[/QUOTE]
In a lot of restaurants the cost comes out of the waitress’s wages if customers walk out. Wouldn’t blame her for double checking, especially if you and your friends looked/acted the type.

[ATTACH=full]2290[/ATTACH] [QUOTE=“Lazarus, post: 1082814, member: 286”]In a lot of restaurants the cost comes out of the waitress’s wages if customers walk out. Wouldn’t blame her for double checking, especially if you and your friends looked/acted the type.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=“dancarter, post: 1082756, member: 122”]I had the worst customer service experience of my life in a popular Dublin hotel a few years back. May have posted about it before.

Work night out. 12 of us having a few pre drinks before dinner. Card behind bar.

I went to bar and ordered a full round including 4 pints of Guinness. They said we will bring to the table. Waiter made two trips with the drinks and we noted we were one Guinness short. He went up to the bar to check and came back and said no I brought all 12 drinks. He then accused one of my colleagues of chopping his Guinness in between his trips to the bar for our round.

No way was he backing down. We went from laughing at the situation to absolutely seething and told him get the manager. The manager duly arrived. Listened to the story. Said get the lads a Guinness and apologised. He all but kicked the waiter in the bollocks in front of us for being such a fucking eejit[/QUOTE]did you feel like a big man after that? humiliating some poor minimum wage minion like that

Morning, chaps. My thinking was more along the lines of @flattythehurdler[/USER] and [USER=2272]@TheUlteriorMotive[/USER] (latter was jesting I know) than [USER=122]@dancarter[/USER] and [USER=286]@Lazarus. I totally accept that anyone can make a mistake but they indisputably should have made sure they had their facts straight before accusing us of departing without paying the bill in full. It’s a fairly aggressive/drastic option to take in a customer service industry, I feel. Especially given the context of us clearly informing them that the second bill wasn’t ours and leaving the cash in the receipt holder with our actual bill.

That’s my point, pal. She obviously didn’t double check.

A quiet word in her ear would have sufficed Bandage, a captain of industry like yourself would no doubt adhere to the very highest standard of decorum, unlike Carter bawling out a poor underling in front of his mates over a pint of Guinness to try and make himself feel better about himself, rugby supporters no doubt

Never leave the premises until the bill is paid, change received, tip given etc.

This was the plan, pal. As I say, we could have rang back but thought it handier to quickly clear it up in person. So we went in and said to front of house type person that we’d been summoned back but were certain it was their error. Oh the waitress is looking after it, he says.

Waiting there another while and she came over and we made the same point. I don’t think so, she says, and produces that second bill. No - that’s the one you incorrectly left on our table, we told her. We settled our bill and left the cash in the receipt holder with it. Oh right - are you sure, she asks? Yes - positive, we confirm. Hang on, she says. She went and got the actual bill then and starting doing a compare and contrast in front of us. Oh yeah, you are right. I remember your wine order now. Yeah, we’ve been saying it’s our bill for quite a while now.

She then moved from quite confrontational to profusely apologetic very quickly upon that realisation. She said repeatedly “God, I’m so sorry. I can’t believe I made you come back”. We were like “whatever, forget about it” and toddled off again.

You dealt with that like the professional you are Bandage, I would not expect anything less.

[QUOTE=“Bandage, post: 1082837, member: 9”]This was the plan, pal. As I say, we could have rang back but thought it handier to quickly clear it up in person. So we went in and said to front of house type person that we’d been summoned back but were certain it was their error. Oh the waitress is looking after it, he says.

Waiting there another while and she came over and we made the same point. I don’t think so, she says, and produces that second bill. No - that’s the one you incorrectly left on our table, we told her. We settled our bill and left the cash in the receipt holder with it. Oh right - are you sure, she asks? Yes - positive, we confirm. Hang on, she says. She went and got the actual bill then and starting doing a compare and contrast in front of us. Oh yeah, you are right. I remember your wine order now. Yeah, we’ve been saying it’s our bill for quite a while now.

She then moved from quite confrontational to profusely apologetic very quickly upon that realisation. She said repeatedly “God, I’m so sorry. I can’t believe I made you come back”. We were like “whatever, forget about it” and toddled off again.[/QUOTE]

Have you ever made a mistake in work @Bandage?