Daily Debate - Joe Canning v Seamus Callanan

While Joe has played in different positions - they’ve played Fitz together and roughly started intercounty around the same time. Both being their county’s talisman … Callanan has the medals and gets the nod for me.

• Joe Canning
  • Seamus Callanan

0 voters

Both unreal. Callahan has been a machine lately, and his goal scoring rate is incredible.

I’m gonna give Joe the nod here though. More rounded hurler (lol) who’s played in different positions effectively. He’s also had a poorer and, seeing as they are from Galway, more windy support cast. At times of great need, like the second half of the 2018 Final, Joe has been immense.

Both awesome hurlers but I think Joe has been fractionally more awesomer

3 Likes

Will you stop ffs. Not even a debate. It’s like comparing Jairzinho with Pele. The former like Callinan a great player but the latter is in all time discussion, if a tad overrated.

Can we expand this out to consider Reid and Shefflin as well please?

Joe is the GOAT.

The Joe show’s been doing it alone for a lot of his career. Capable of doing some really special stuff and been excellent since he first broke through.
Callanan was a real mixed bag initially, but he’s gotten to an unreal level of consistency now. Undoubtedly the best full forward in the game at the moment, and as things stand probably better than Joe who’s looked a bit tired the last few years. But overall Joe gets my vote

You want to expand it to two other players so you can dismiss them as well?

I think it would make it a more rounded debate.

Joe all day.

Will ya stap will ya. Go back to the soccerball and robbing houses. Callanan had a few great years but hes had more quiet ones. On a tipp team never short of forwards. Joes being carrying the fight for a decade on his own at times. Callanan has been bossed out of it several times, never got the better of daithi burke. Joes been single handedly winning clubs, fitzgibbons, underage and finally one full all ireland. Take him out of those teams and they are all back in the pack.

Joe has the performance against cork in 08, the goals against kilkenny in 09, the goal in the 12 all ireland plus the levelling free, a point against Kilkenny in tullamore to level it out of this world, the handpass flick against cork, the goal caught on the turn in the leinster final, the pass against tipp in 15, the points in 17, even the goaled free against limerick. Won portumna an all ireland at 17 on his own. Won a very average galway minor team an all ireland in 05. Just hit the fucking thing into joe said davy. And thats only a fraction of it.

Now list Callanans achievements. Not dying when john hanbury did a job on him?

3 Likes

Joe Canning is a great player but he doesnt always deliver — Callanan does. He has gotten better and better with age and right now is superior to Canning.

1 Like

Time for yet another rebrand

Callanan for me.

Consistent and class.

Canning is a You Tube compilation hurler.

2 Likes

Can we restrict this debate to people from hurling counties only please

10 Likes

The Galway roll of honour dwarfs the Wexford one alright…

1 Like

This is it… Joe has some unreal moments … but he has been equally as poor in games — people let the myth of the man blind them at times. Callanan has gotten better and better every year. He has been the best forward in the country for the last 4/5 years by a distance.

1 Like

It does in the last half a century, all grades

Last 12 months? What’s the cut off?

Imagine picking Callanan ahead of joe or tj reid. Godhelpus

Yeah we’re ahead of them the last 12 months too :+1:

Ye were terrific in Leinster last year.