Daily debate roberto Carlos/Cafu v Marcelo/dani alves

So?

Football was much stronger back then, across the board.

Is that solely because Italian clubs were dominant than the Spanish or have you any logic to this?

It’s because the quality of football and footballer was much higher in the era of Cafu/Carlos than Alves/Marcelo.

It wasn’t. The only reason you say its such a weak era for football is because Italy/Italian football isn’t successful anymore

2 Likes

None of those were in 94 when Cafu won his first

It was. The only reason I say that is because it’s true

I resent the accusations of subjectivity.

Did Ronaldo not play in 94?

R9 was but he never played.

England were Brazil’s toughest challengers in 2002 with Danny Mills at right back and Emile Heskey and Darius Vassell getting game time

Danny Mills was a better player than Alexander Arnold.

2 Likes

I think lazy pundits always throw out the “oh he gets forward a lot he must be weak defensively” analysis in regards to full back.

I can’t remember any of the four mentioned here being caught out in their prime.

1 Like

:laughing:

1 Like

Ah stop

Alvez wasn’t a natural defender. He was a converted winger. Marcelo is a better defender than Alvez.

Cafu was a natural defender. If you could mould a right back, it would be him

That’s fair enough, I still don’t think it’s fair to blame one player for a team not winning or to praise one player for his team winning, especially with full backs. Cafu was clearly a great player

Zanetti for me.

1 Like

That is absolutely not true. Alves rarely got caught out defensively and is a better defender than Marcelo

Being a natural defender isn’t a particularly good thing in the modern game IMO

1 Like

I still don’t think Alves got caught too often.

Agree on Cafu. Possibly the best full back I’ve ever seen

Alvez can’t and could never tackle.