Daily debate roberto Carlos/Cafu v Marcelo/dani alves

That is a bit of a ridiculous article, his whole hypothesis seems to be centred around one moment in a game which he was man of the match

I disagree. It’s all subjective. Marcelo can play in a shape and keep a line.

I always found alvez to be undisciplined and impetuous.

I’d rather any of the other three than him

That wasn’t just an isolated moment, is the point.

His attacking prowess covered up his lack of defensive ability for pretty much his whole career. He is a winger.

Being a natural defender was a great thing 100 years ago , it is a great thing now & will be great in 100 years time

Cafu on his own would be better than the other two combined

2 Likes

I disagree but I have a separate question. Do you think at the top level in the modern game that it’s better to have a full back who is brilliant at defending or brilliant going forward?

It’s the one thing I hope never goes out of the game.

Seeing a top class defender read a game is spectacular.

I’d watch videos of Baresi in awe

Why have this debate without greatest wing back pairing of all time? Willy Sagnol and Benny Lizarazu

1 Like

It’s not. All of the best full backs now are converted wingers/midfielders

In the modern game, there is less emphasis on being a good defender for the absolute top teams, which is about 5% of teams.

The teams below the top generally play with orthodox full backs.

In a top top team I’d say attacking but for the rest I’d say defensive. They just don’t have the ball enough

Lillian Thuram.

Jaysus. What a man

2 Likes

Danny Mills has a decent World Cup for England in 2002. Got caught out for Sweden’s goal in the opening match but was very good after that. Him and Nicky Butt were England’s two most consistent players

1 Like

Which game? An unusual memory to keep from a game. Interesting

I’m delighted this debate has at least created a little bit of positive debate even if it’s not close.

I’d say the lads debating have no real memory of seeing Cafu.

It’s just simply not close

There’s a documentary on Netflix about France from 1998-2016 in which Thuram comes across as a very interesting man. Good documentary too

I’ll field this one.

I won a Bob Radcliffe Cup playing at full back so I know what I’m talking about. Full backs are there first and foremost to defend. They are a part of the defensive unit and should never forget their duty.

Take Matt Dockery for instance, he is a liability to his team due to his inability to defend. It’s like having a fast car with no brakes, it’s going to crash and burn.

2 Likes

What a defender. What a player.

That’s what a world class full back should be

I’m not really debating who was better, I didn’t see Cafu much as I said

They have to be good at both . In the big games defensive deficiencies will be exposed . The great teams nearl always had full backs who could attack ; 70 Brazil ; Ajax : Germany ; ac Milan etc …, it isn’t a new phenomenon