Darren Frehill Mistake Watch

Does Darren actually have an interest in sport?

Leitrim’s division 4 final against Derry
will be their 1st appearance in Croke Park since 1992 apparently.

1994 ? Did they play in a tommy Murphy final

Leitrim played Dublin in Croke Park in the opening game of the 1995/96 League on October 15th, 1995.

I’d say that’s probably their last appearance there although open to correction.

Edit: they did indeed play in the 2006 Tommy Murphy Cup final on August 27th, 2006, before the Dublin-Mayo semi-final.

1 Like

Haven’t a scooby do about the tommy murphy lad. But with even my cursory knowledge of gealic football i know they were definitely in hq in 94 after winning Connacht. Basic fact checking seems to be beyond Darren and RTEs team if researchers though.

There seems to be a surprising amount of sports news types that have no interest or grasp of very basic sporting information that you’d imagine anyone with a passing interest in sport would know, not to mind those whose job is sports.
I think what happens is they lob the dregs into sport because they can’t do much damage there. That’s not to say they are all useless, but there’s a seriously high proportion of useless bastards doing sports news. You wouldn’t last two minutes broadcasting real news if you were making those kind of mistakes. The danger of libeling someone or something I suppose

1 Like

An awful bang of jealously regarding meelick eyrecourts finest from a few failed sports reporters busy bean counting

Frehill was delighted that Lydia Boylan(?) Won a silver at the world championship there. He neglected to mention a sport.

2 Likes

He also said Leicester had been beaten by Wexford before quickly correcting himself in typical bumbling fashion. It would also be helpful if he removed the marbles from his mouth before doing the sports news.

1 Like

According to Siobhain Madigan Arsenal winger Sokratis was sent off last night.

I’d hazard a guess that Darren has accidentally used the word conformation, but it’s actually a passable usage of the word meaning to describe the shape of something

A handy trial run in Walsh Park on offer for Clare there actually ahead of the summer.

Darren was talking to Davy Fitz in the roadcaster on Sunday. He said to Davy that Wexford had played Kilkenny three times last year, and lost each game. Davy responded that Wexford had in fact won a games against Kilkenny

These chancer doesn’t even do basic research

1 Like

It’s not only that but you would think it would be easier for him to get certain things right than wrong.

We beat them on pelanties / 65s in the Walsh Cup early doors last season but they subsequently beat us twice in the league and then in the Leinster championship, albeit the championship defeat was aided by James McGrath.

1 Like

So Darren was correct to say that Kilkenny beat Wexford three times in 2018.

He was. Not a mistake.